Cavern (Cenotes) diving in the Mayan Rivera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am Certified in Cavern Diving by N.A.C.D..

I am planning to return to the Mayan Riviera for Cenote diving and to take videos with my new GoPro video camera.

As I remember, getting to some of the Cenotes requires lots of walking. Due to a foot injury, I have some limitation on walking too far.

What I need are the names of several Cenotes which are easy to get to by car and which don't require too much walking or climbing.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Sy

Most of the ones I can think of are going to require ~200-400 feet of walking and a flight of stairs or ladder, is that acceptable? If so, Dos Ojos, Chac Mool, Pet Cemetery, El Eden, Casa, Tajma Ha, Chiken Ha, Gran Cenote, and Angelita are some of the more popular sites that fit within those parameters.

Sytech, not clear in your text, but I wonder if you are planning on diving with a certified cavern guide or on your own with a buddy. If you are planning the latter, be aware that the general rule is one must be a cave diver in order to dive without a guide in the cenotes.

Most of the ones I can think of are going to require ~200-400 feet of walking and a flight of stairs or ladder, is that acceptable? If so, Dos Ojos, Chac Mool, Pet Cemetery, El Eden, Casa, Tajma Ha, Chiken Ha, Gran Cenote, and Angelita are some of the more popular sites that fit within those parameters.

Angelita has a decent walk on the way in where you can do a giant stride and drop 10 feet to the water. However, you need to exit on the other side of the cenote which about doubles the walk back. Also, I don't believe that Angelita is publicly accessible and you need to get a key from somewhere. Not sure where since when I was there my instructor had the key and I didn't ask for the procedure.

I would add carwash to the list, it has less stairs than some of the others and parking is fairly close by. If memory serves me, from a good parking spot, you have about a 30' walk and 3 or 4 steps on a rickety staircase to the water.

Why don't you contact the dive shop where you intend to source your tanks, and see if you can hire somebody to haul them for you? Except for Carwash, I can't offhand think of any places with good cavern dives that don't involve a fair amount of walking, and stairs.

Angelita has a decent walk on the way in where you can do a giant stride and drop 10 feet to the water. However, you need to exit on the other side of the cenote which about doubles the walk back.

That, and if the OP has an injury that limits walking, I'd question the advisability of doing a dive that requires climbing a rope up a rock wall to exit.

Well, either your buddy can help you with the equipment, or as I said, you could look into hiring a local kid to sherpa for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom