Cavern cert Limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I find it very interesting that out of all the agencies with their own sub forums above NSS-CDS requires registration in order to ask a question. :idk:

I have 2 NSS-CDS certs but I'll pass on the registration BS.

I may be Cavern diving with newer NSS-CDS Cavern divers, or even a NAUI Cavern diver. Just wondering what the differences are with respect to the limits of our different training?

I was certified NSS-CDS Cavern in '01, and my manual states the following limits;

halemanō;3532716:
Direct Sunlight Zone - diver can see the opening (entrance/exit). If you can not see the opening but it is not pitch black, you are in the ambient-light zone. When it is pitch black and you can see nothing without lights you are in the zone of total darkness. Cavern diving is only in the direct-sunlight zone.

130' Maximum Linear Distance from the Surface - Cavern divers must stay within a linear distance of 130' to the surface. Linear distance includes the depth of the entrance plus the distance of penetration. Examples; 30' deep entrance plus 100' penetration, 50' deep entrance plus 80' penetration, 70' deep entrance plus 60' penetration.

70' Max Depth - Below 70' air reserves for dealing with emergencies are too limited and the margin for error becomes too critical.

No Restriction - Buddy teams should be able to comfortably swim side by side. If divers have to swim single file due to localized narrowing that is considered a restriction. Cavern divers are not permitted to pass through restrictions in part because sharing air with standard scuba through a restriction is nearly impossible.

40' Minimum Visibility - The minimum visibility acceptable for cavern diving is 40'.

No Decompression Limits - Cavern divers should stay well within the no-deco limits. When cavern diving, bottom time is the time from leaving the surface until returning from the cavern to a depth of 10' in open water(not ending at start of ascent). Most experienced cavern divers stay within 80% of NDL limits, to allow for any unexpected delays during exit.

Air Supply Limitations - One of the three leading causes of death in underwater caves is failure to reserve adequate air for exiting. This requires at least as much air in each cylinder as both divers (buddy team) used coming in on the two seperate cylinders (basic rule of thirds).

For example; my cavern manual says I am beyond cavern diving if I can not see the entrance/exit, the ambient light zone is cave diving teritory. A crack in the roof that I could directly see the sun through, but could not dive through in buddy formation (restricted), does not change it from being the "ambient zone." Only direct sight of the entrance/exit makes it the "direct sunlight zone."

The New NSS-CDS Standards have different depth and linear distance AFAIHS, which seem similar to NAUI Cavern depth and linear limits. Is the new NSS-CDS or NAUI cavern diver allowed to call it a cavern dive in what my manual calls the ambient light zone?

Back
Top Bottom