Cavern Course with Johnny Richards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The Saga Begins:

Today began like any other day. Most people wake up to their alarm clock, but how many get to wake up to the alarm sounding the beginning of an adventure? It is an unfortunate observation when I venture to respond with "few."

I wipe the sleep from my eyes and great this journey by groping for the snooze. My body is not ready for the adventure yet, it seems.

After the alarm sounds its second warning, my body aligns with my soul again and this time I am up and grabbing my pack. All of my essential gear was packed the night before, all I had to bring with me now was my rations for the trip. Nothing says "I'm here, let's go," like a cooler and some granola bars.

I hit the road with all four tires going, Subaru's are great when it comes to needing more wheels moving, and I was off.

Florida, here I come!

The music was loud enough to grove, the beats pumping and the other drivers looking at my air drum tribute to Gene Krupa like I am nuts. The ride is like butter melting slowly in a pan. The same rigid fervor began to melt somewhere around Jacksonville in the pan that was I-10 and there was not a thing the A/C on high could do about it.

The sun was bearing down like an angry titan determined to boil the skin off my left arm and body. No, I would not give in to its pain, tomorrow I get my first glimpse into the underworld. But am I prepared to battle what I find there? Will I bow before its teeth or will I kneel, ready to be knighted in honor of facing its challenges. I plan on being the victor. But that is tomorrow.

Salvation from the heat came as I entered Lake City and was greeted by trees waving their mighty branches skyward and warding off the sun and its power.

I am almost there. Only a few more miles to go until I arrive at my testing grounds, High Springs, Florida.

When I pull in at the fabled Cadillac Motel, I am not surprised by what I find. Memories flood back to my as I recall my old dormitory at the University were I attended. Even the smell of curry in the office reminded me of an old roommate. What did surprise me was [user]vshearer[/user] standing there as well. I knew he would be in town to tackle the course too, what I did not know was his lodging arrangements.

The time has come to venture over to Ginnie Springs and see what we will be up against. I am aware that my course will test my nerve, skill and determination. I fully intend to great the cavern with the humility that comes from meeting such an embodiment of adventure and awe...

More to come.

Oh, Chapter 2, please!

You guys should have a great time. I met Johnny last time down ... a good friend of mine has taken a couple classes from him and tells me he's a great instructor.

Like Lynne said ... more, please.

I'll be down there for my full cave training in five weeks ... any news from cave country right now is an appetizer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just finished Into with Johnny on Tuesday. Great Instructor! He is down to earth, and knows his stuff. I will be going back to him for my next level. Just listen to every thing he says. He will let you know what you do wrong and tell you how to do it better. Have fun and be safe!

First Knight:

What comes to mind when you think of a gas station attendant? The stingy teenager who does not want to be there? The stereotypical "Apu?" Not in Florida's cave country. After the myriad of attendants I have come across today as I seek directions (no GPS), I am sure that they are talking about the crazy young man confused by Florida road maps on their own Quicky-mart forums. Thanks must be given where thanks are due. They were each immensely helpful.

The last I sought directions from pointed me directly to Ginnie Springs. [user]vshearer[/user] and I transversed the country side until low and behold, on the right stood the sign of a water Nymph. She flowed out of the woods and welcomed us with a kind smile and sultry eyes. I can only imagine what devil's eyes she has looked into recently. But we followed her down a dusty road to the Great Hall. The only thing standing between our glorious entry to the waters Ginnie lured us to and our current position was a sentinel guarding the gateway to the house in which we will be schooled tomorrow. With authority, he waved us to park our ride.

Walking up the steps to the lodge, I was full of wonder.

A woman that had dank too much coffee stepped up cheerfully and had us sign our life and breath into our own hands. Once our contract with the woman was brazen in ink, we were free to explore the grounds under the playful eye of Ginnie. Her perfume was the breeze wafting across the barren road. Her song called beyond the trees and we found ourselves standing by the stairs descending to the ballroom. You could almost here her music haunting the air around the waters.

We had to get back before the sentinel found us courting Ginnie without our right of passage. She had left us craving for more. We would be back. Adieu, sweet Ginnie, until the morrow.

After dropping off my companion, I headed back into town for sustenance. I chose a small Mexican restaurant named Los Aviña. As I was the only member of my party, I strut up to the abandoned bar. After being ignored for a few minutes, I was approached by a lady of the establishment. She asked for my to-go order. I made mention of eating in and she was taken back. No sign marked my seat as the "To-Go" station, but I was moved to the far end of the bar. I was then moved to a table for eight. My hostess requested that if a large party arrived, I move back to the far end of the bar. I realized that my first test had begun, patience.

The meal was superb. The combination number three is usually my favorite and this was no exception. A hefty tip and a quick talk to the server, who ended up being the manager, merited a hefty apology. She honestly did not realize how unwelcome I had felt. I will be back for the food again.

To help with the digestion, I pursued the town and found a Mecca for Divers: Extreme Exposure. Regardless of ones affiliation, their toys are nice. One thing that caught my attention was the solitary pair of split fins on the wall. I almost cried, I was laughing so hard.

A Fundies class was just ending and I got to meet and talk to Stretch and Doug. Doug told a great story about his first skydiving experience and how Jarred and their wife/ wife-to-be jumped with no problem. He said that jumping was a breeze if you had ever dove with GUE because of the emphasis on trim. Doug was very kind and directed me to the nearest theater so I could see Disney's Oceans (I never made it).

On my way back to the car, I dropped in at the local coffee bar/ ice cream parlor. Cowboy Mike Powers (AKA Singing Ranger) was running Family Karaoke night. As an outsider, the townspeople never suspected that I would join in the fun. After butchering a song (in the key of A when I sing in C), I grabbed a cup of the town brew and enjoyed conversation with the locals.

My encampment is ready for my first night awaiting my instruction by a legendary man.

More to come...

Somewhere, we have a picture of a banner ad across the EE window, advertising snorkels . . . Don't you love the cave arrow door handles?

Strike up a conversation with Johnny about how much you dislike the Dallas Cowboys,and hope they go 0-16--this will win big points with him :)

I remember my first trip to EE ... after walking along the back wall admiring all the cool Halcyon stuff I noticed, hanging along the front wall, several mask/fin/snorkel sets ... one set was even pink ... :rofl3:

Kinda busts the stereotype ... but then, so did the folks working there, who I enjoyed talking with quite a lot ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Kinda busts the stereotype ... but then, so did the folks working there, who I enjoyed talking with quite a lot ...

Yeah, Stretch was cool. He had a few tattoos and piercings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom