Caves and transmitters.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the event the xmitter fails. The diver can and will still have an accurate readout of tank pressure.

In the event the xmitter fails. The diver can and will still have an accurate readout of tank pressure.

why is that necessary except in the event of a mission critical dive that HAS to be completed? if the xmitter fails, turn the dive. On exit, you either have enough gas to get out, or you don't, knowing how much you have shouldn't make a difference to your exit strategy

why is that necessary except in the event of a mission critical dive that HAS to be completed? if the xmitter fails, turn the dive. On exit, you either have enough gas to get out, or you don't, knowing how much you have shouldn't make a difference to your exit strategy

If the xmitter battery fails early in the dive, and you have an spg there is no need to abort the dive. The same way if I carry two primary lights and one fails I do not have to abort.

If you have no spg and xmitter battery fails at max penetration- you have a long way to travel while assuming or guessing at your tank pressure. Psychologically speaking this will be stressful to some cave divers.

Information is power.

If the xmitter battery fails early in the dive, and you have an spg there is no need to abort the dive. The same way if I carry two primary lights and one fails I do not have to abort.

If you have no spg and xmitter battery fails at max penetration- you have a long way to travel while assuming or guessing at your tank pressure. Psychologically speaking this will be stressful to some cave divers.

Information is power.

fair enough, though I would argue that was inadequate predive checks from the divers for their xmitter battery status. Granted that implies that cave divers do adequate predive checks on OC which we all know as a rule doesn't happen.

I'll stick to one pressure measuring device, but I also know that I have conservative dive planning and in the event of a xmitter failure, say in sidemount, I'll just stay on that bottle until I can feel a buoyancy difference, switch to the other side, and when they feel unbalanced in the other direction I'll know that the "dead" side has more gas than whatever is in the "alive" side. Even then, I have enough gas, or I don't. If I don't, that's what my buddy is for, but if I don't, then I seriously f*cked up my gas planning

I agree with all that @tbone1004

One spg for me on bm doubles, never owned an xmitter.

I agree with all that @tbone1004

One spg for me on bm doubles, never owned an xmitter.

I won't for a few more years. I can see lots of practical applications for them though.

I dive indy doubles quite a bit, would be nice to have a Perdix with a transmitter on each post for that instead of running a pair of spg's. Would leave it on for manifolded doubles because I'm lazy and use the same regs

Obviously great in sidemount, but not great enough to spend $1400 on. If I didn't have a Petrel already I would seriously consider jumping in though.

Great on a CCR as well to get rid of the O2/dil bottle SPG's and some manufacturers are putting HP ports in the head so you have wired AI for those bottles which I think is a great solution and I think Becky is still using a Perdix with AI for hers.

Is it worth $1400 to me? Not right now, but if I was weighing $900 for a Perdix vs $1400 with 2 transmitters, I honestly would more than likely bite the bullet and do it.

Is it worth $1400 to me? Not right now, but if I was weighing $900 for a Perdix vs $1400 with 2 transmitters, I honestly would more than likely bite the bullet and do it.

Ditto..me too.

I admit I am open to it now thanks to Shearwater and it seems to have Jim's blessing............still tough to swallow $17,000 for a Perdix AI and transmitters (Us dollar converted to Canadian dollars....lol)

I admit I am open to it now thanks to Shearwater and it seems to have Jim's blessing............still tough to swallow $17,000 for a Perdix AI and transmitters (Us dollar converted to Canadian dollars....lol)

you missed a couple 0's there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom