Cayman Aggressor: When does it become too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess people don't search for reviews of Aggressor or maybe don't believe all the trip (or non-trip in this case) reports. Don't get me wrong, there's some good reviews as well - as you can see from Dr. Rich's posts.

This alludes to such a good point I want to follow it up. A lot of live-aboard trip reports, including mine, come after trips where things went pretty smoothly...which is probably the large majority of the time. So they don't cover what happens when things go badly (or even not-so-badly) wrong, or there are substantial changes later. Here's a sampler from my reports:

1.) 2015 Sun Dancer 2 (a.k.a.: Belize Aggressor IV) - great trip. Another SB member did a Belize Aggressor (I think the III?) later, and didn't get to spend as much time at the outer atolls; more around Turneffe. IIRC, had a basically 'good' trip, but not as good.

2.) 2016 Cayman Aggressor IV - great trip. But...we made it over to dive Little Cayman 18 dives + 2 dives on the frigate wreck off Cayman Brac, and some trips they don't make that crossing and just dive around Grand Cayman. And they replaced that boat with the Cayman Aggressor V, which some have been concerned may be too big for some moorings, and thus have some functional compromise. Haven't read anything about that in awhile...and would be interested in recent trip reports.

3.) 2016 Truth Aquatics Vision - great trip, albeit a much different type of trip, diving off the Channel Islands of California. But the very similar T.A. boat, the Conception, later was in a disastrous fire at sea claiming the lives off all passengers (over 30) and 1 crewman, bringing to light design issues (e.g.: only one good exit from the below deck bunk room, easy obstructed by fire) and safety issues (e.g.: allegations of lacking a roving night watch). Which brought into popular discussion safety issues likely present in a much wider range of live-aboard boats in the world...that many dives had been unaware of or accepted.

Which leaves my 2018 Turks & Caicos Aggressor II and 2020 Humboldt Explorer Galapagos trips free of substantial 'rest of the story' issues.

My point is, a glowing trip report may tell you how good it can be...but not how bad. Some live-aboards offer the easiest high-volume diving (set your gear up once, and after that it's practically 'fall in the water' easy), or access to the best (e.g.: Wolf & Darwin Islands in the Galapagos)...but they have potential downsides, too. Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire isn't going to sink with you...

I think people on this board are on average inclined to research things pretty thoroughly. And even keep on top of things they might be interested in someday, almost as a sort of hobby, so they have a useful base of knowledge to start from. It’s probably what brings a lot of people here.

But what percentage of people in general do that? Or are good at reading between the lines, determining the more reliable sources of info, what of it actually applies to them, etc. I have no idea, but from what I have seen an awful lot of people don’t. (This applies to lots of things, not just dive travel.). And it’s enough to enable some places to continue to do what they do, at least for quite awhile.

Yes, I know the chef on the CA. They are running trips every other week for locals at $900 a head. The CI government isn’t letting tourists in, and appears to be not renewing work visas in an effort to keep local jobs local. This seems to be limited to the CA….

I think that the CA is a corporate vessel, not a franchisee.
Aggressor DO NOT own a single boat not even a tender they are pretty much untouchable! they are all frachise vessels granted the carib boats do have Mr Brown involved but thats it!!! its good sense to have the Marketing machine as untouchable and un acountable!

I learned about Agressor's harsh policy while on another boat, with a guy who's wife had passed away before they made the trip as booked. Let's just say Agressor was way-less than caring in a terrible situation. Lame.

Well, Aggressor just canceled our November trip, and this time they are allowing us to put the voucher to another Aggressor somewhere else. We would like to do so ASAP. Just about anywhere. Any ideas on one that can take 4 passengers relatively soon?

Well, Aggressor just canceled our November trip, and this time they are allowing us to put the voucher to another Aggressor somewhere else. We would like to do so ASAP. Just about anywhere. Any ideas on one that can take 4 passengers relatively soon?
Go to their website and register, you can look up availability on any of their boats Aggressor Adventures™ | Aggressor® Liveaboards, Safaris & River Cruises I see that there is room for 4 in November on Belize Aggressor III, Roatan Aggressor, T&C Aggressor. Likely availability outside Caribbean also, take a look

Reactions: Dan
I would like to thank folks for the tips. We felt we needed to book quickly. I am busy (surprise) diving this weekend, so everyone esle in our group has been working furiously. It is looking like we will be going to Roatan at some point.

I received word from on island that the CAIV will be leaving in October for a yard in Roatan and will not be welcomed back to the Cayman Islands. Something about $2million dollars in arrears in customs fees, which is why, during their pandemic trips, they did not leave for Cayman Brac or Little Cayman because they would transit outside of CI waters and wouldn’t be allowed back in.

Paul Haines and Wayne Hassan would be rolling in their graves if they knew the place it all started had booted the Aggressor Fleet out.

@Wookie Where is Rostand? Or should that be Roatan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom