Cayman Islands liveaboard question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lived in Cayman for ten years and May is an awesome month to visit with tons of stuff happening in the water. Aggressor should have no problem to cross to LC and dive there.
North Wall of Grand Cayman still has some amazing sites including Babylon.Even West has good stuff and new site Kittywake.
Have a great trip!

Did the Caymans itentary on the Nekton boat when it was still in service.

Awesome diving and trip....

If you have the cash - go for it!

Just back (6 days ago) from a fantastic week on the CA IV. I'd have to say that the diving on LC and Cayman Brac was fantastic, I was a bit disappointed by the (few) dives we did on GC; less visibility and reefs that seemed a bit "worn" but please keep in mind we only did 6 dives on GC, and the visibility is certainly more an issue of current weather than a sign of the dive site quality. The Crew were clearly psyched the weather forecast was good for our week and as soon as we picked up a delayed passenger made a beeline for Little Cayman. It seemed a number of prior weeks they were limited to Grand Cayman and were clearly ready to get over to Little Cayman. The week prior they made the trip but the Capt. mentioned the crossing was particularly rough, and our last day he mentioned the forecast didn't look as good and seemed to be wondering out loud if they were going to make the crossing.

Our trip over was 3-5' seas, a little rough, and while I don't normally have issues was not at my best with 7 hours of rocking and rolling. All that was forgotten after the 1st dive on Bloody Bay wall, really spectacular wall diving, all everyone says it is. The rest of our trip we were on Bloody Bay wall, with 1 morning trip over to the Brac for 2 dives on the M.V. Capt. Keith Tibbetts.

I commented to a fellow guest that now that I had dived both I would have gladly passed on the GC diving and spent the entire week at LC, though I assume there are better sites on GC we never got a chance to hit. Basing the CA IV out of LC would see to make more sense, though resupplying there may be more challenging and it's easier to get to Grand Cayman. However now that I’ve been there I would have to say that unless the other dive sites on GC were substantially better than what had a chance to do, I would not be satisfied taking the trip and only diving Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman now has 365 "moored" dive sites North,South,East and West.When I have seen the Cayman Agressor diving GC they seemed to be at the more very common sites like Devils Grotto,The barge wreck,etc.only once have I ever seen them on the North wall.

Doing a liveaboard and diving just GC is not worth it in my opinion when all of GC can be done from shore based boats and you have the comfort of land based accomodations.

Just my opinion.

The Aggressor can only tie up to the two pin mooring lines, so that dramatically reduces that number of 365 sites.

They would only be around Grand Cayman if the weather doesn't permit them to be somewhere else, and unfortunately that usually means they are stuck on the west side.

For the time I was there though we did at least two dives on the north side of Grand Cayman every week, either on the way to or from Little Cayman.

Thanks for the clarification East End Diver & Beauty Below. The Captain did mention that not all of the moorings could handle the CAIV. I was sure there was better Diving on Grand Cayman; this gives me reason to head back there again and go land based.

We dove those sites you mentioned, the Barge Wreck Doc Paulson's, & Stingray City on the Sunday while waiting for a delayed passenger to catch up to us & then took off for LC, and on our last (half) day Friday hit the Kittiwake and Devil's Grotto. I had assumed we were sitting in the North Sound so as to be able to head straight for LC once our last guest arrived, and the Kittiwake and Devil's Grotto were geographically convenient since the crew needs to launch into turnover mode once we were done diving Friday, getting the boat right in for refueling and then docking so they can start to clean and provision the boat in preparation for our departure and the next group's arrival.

However going Liveaboard in general is still a nice way to go, all that diving while still being able to relax a bit between dives. Aggressor runs a nice op there.

Back
Top Bottom