Cayman Islands vs. Hawaii in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I want to dive in January and are thinking about either the Cayman Aggressor or Kona Aggressor. We're leaning towards the Kona trip because we've done lots of diving in the Caribbean and would like to see some new critters, but we're wondering which would be the better bet this time of year weather-wise. Airfare to other locations in the Pacific seems crazy expensive, so Hawaii seems like a good compromise, but I'm not sure what the dive conditions are like.

Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, how likely are we to see humpbacks?

cheers,
Potato Cod

From the Aggressor website:
Humpback Whales migrate through Hawaii November through February.
Jan-Mar is peak season but December should be good also.

Most of the dives are near the coast on the lee side of the island so although Hawaii in general is a little rougher in the winter - it should be ok.
It's why they call the Kona Aggressor the "cellphone" liveaboard - except for the farthest south dives you're often in range:

kona.gif

No personal exp. diving Kona in the winter but we did fine off Maui (next island over) a few years ago.

Have not been to Hawaii in the winter but the DM's on the boat when we were there talked about diving that time of year being a wild ride on the boat.

I have been on both boats and much prefer the Cayman Aggressor but in January I would go pick the Kona Aggressor. I find diving in Hawaii to be topologically boring and the aquarium trade has impacted the reefs. Back in the 80's you would see schools of several hundred yellow tangs, today a school of 20 would seem large. Hawaii does offer several species that are only found there, there is the awesome Manta Night dive and boring landscape. Kona it self is a nice little village, good resturants. We stayed at the King Kam Beach Resort prior to and after the trip. It can get rough in January. If the Cayman Aggressor stays at Grand Cayman it is only slightly better than Hawaii. Many of the dive sites are suffering from over diving. You have about an 80% chance you will stay in GC due to rough seas if you do make it to Little Cayman you'll be in heaven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom