Cayman's Party Boat, he Jolly Roger, Has Run Aground - Again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It is sitting in Grand Cayman's George Town Harbor near the Lobster Pot and it's listing almost on its side, see the links below:

Video:
https://youtu.be/hdEZ1QWM1Gw

News article and report:
https://www.caymancompass.com/2018/10/09/jolly-roger-runs-aground-for-second-time-in-month/

The Jolly Roger runs aground on iron shore again

Jolly Roger website:
Cayman Pirates – A true Caribbean experience

The Pirate's Week Festival is coming up soon in early November and the Jolly Roger is always a big attraction during that event - so hopefully it will be seaworthy in time.

We saw the Jolly Roger moored in the George Town Yacht Club Marina when we were on GC last year and it was really looking kind of run down and cheesy, but to be fair maybe it was due for some sprucing up before Pirate's Week. Around that time we heard that it was for sale but now it has run aground twice in a month.

The owners are having some bad luck and I wish them the very best, but I am beginning to think that the Jolly Roger may be on a path toward becoming a new GC dive site!

Pirate-ship-grounding-again-7.gif

Can’t collect insurance unless the boat is gone gone which she evidently is not. Even if the damage is greater than the insured value then you are still responsible for paying to get rid of it. How do I know — our boat sank on her mooring in front of Lobster Pot just over a month ago. A snorkel boat sank the day before the JR off Royal Palms in bad weather. Another boat was recently hit by lightning and a had all the electronics totally destroyed. It is a tough season for ops but could be worse. Speculating about what may or may not be true without knowing the full story is pointless. News stories can be misleading to readers who are outside the local area and therefore cannot put the information into context. I feel very sorry for their misfortune and know it is going to be a costly and tricky removal that they are now looking at. Insurance will not cover the loss of business, the boat will be harder to sell (she like everything else has been for sale for years to a buyer willing to pay the price). If they wanted an insurance payout they would not have risked doing anything where she would have come to shore, damaged reef or other property and certainly could not have anticipated the freaky weather we have been having.

Is "Business interruption" insurance available for watersport business's?

I have it on my condo through Island Heritage and I know of several others who also have it.

Well we are a dive op and our insurance is through the PADI V&B group in the states. Have never seen business interruption insurance for a dive business offered. I would imagine it would be very costly as there are so many variables. Renting a property (which we used to do before we moved here) does not have nearly as many things that can go wrong. In any event if you didn’t know the local conditions and the pop up storms that have affected more than just the Jolly Roger I can see where people could jump to other conclusions. Its just a shame that’s all

Might be worth looking into ...not from PADI but a local insurance broker you never know it might be beneficial in the long run.

Is the Jolly Roger back in business? I haven't heard anything about it since it ran aground last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom