CCR route.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
I'd like to get into a CCRs in a future. Should I take advanced nitrox first, and then a CCR course? Or a CCR course is usually combined with an advanced nitrox course?

TIA.

It's interesting to see that rebreathers forum now contains 666 threads and 6666 messages, after I posted this one. Maybe it's a bad sign?

I started w/ OC first but most CCR INST. will combine the classes. From what I have seen in earlier threads most would agree to pick a route OC/CCR not both as this is a money waster unless you do both alot.

Everything you need to know about safely operating/diving a CCR should be included in the course. This would include everything about gases within the scope of class....most offer entry level within recreational limits and then progress into deeper/deco.

If you're asking if it should be a prerequisite to taking CCR....I dont know of anyone out there except GUE who require this, but I could be wrong on that.

Advanced Nitrox is a pre-requisite for IANTD, but it can be taught as part of the course.

How much OC experience one should have is a constant argument in the RB community. I will simply say that in my experience, a diver who is relaxed and self-confident in the water, who can be trained to the RB mind-set will always do well.

Every agency I can think of requires nitrox certification, most on advanced level.
Most will let you take both classes at the same time, but it will increase your workload.

So taking Advanced Nitrox first is actually a good idea? I was actually thinking of doing this anyway. Does it matter which agency I take the class from?

I currently have around 175 dives, about 40 in doubles, most in the NE, probably about 100 in drysuit, AOW and Nitrox - both PADI, popped my NJ cherry last season, but this season I got out more than a few times, regularaly hitting wrecks in the 100-130' range.

I really want to make the switch within the next year, and will probably abandon OC all together afterwards, except maybe a single tank rig, just for shore diving. So any advanced training (deco, mix, probably even cave) I will do on CCR, probably Meg.

You got good instructors in your area for most any CCR I can think of, except the new Ouroboros.
Once you're settle on the unit choose the instructor. Whatever agency they certify under will also offer the nitrox requirements.

I took only one class, ANDI's CSU which I found to be very good. Their teaching materials are above most I've seen and the standards are high. Nice prep for CCR diving in the CSU is the use of an additional tank with a second mix. You get to handle a bailout tank while still on familiar OC equipment.

ANDI doesn't train on the PRISM, but I did the nitrox with them anyway because I liked the curiculum better.

grunzster:
So taking Advanced Nitrox first is actually a good idea? I was actually thinking of doing this anyway. Does it matter which agency I take the class from?

I currently have around 175 dives, about 40 in doubles, most in the NE, probably about 100 in drysuit, AOW and Nitrox - both PADI, popped my NJ cherry last season, but this season I got out more than a few times, regularaly hitting wrecks in the 100-130' range.

I really want to make the switch within the next year, and will probably abandon OC all together afterwards, except maybe a single tank rig, just for shore diving. So any advanced training (deco, mix, probably even cave) I will do on CCR, probably Meg.

As a CCR instructor and someone who can teach for several agencies, he is my take..

ANDI CSU IS the most complete "nitrox" program out there, it is about equivalent to most others nitrox plus advanced nitrox with some extra material as well..

CSU has the same limits as IANTD adv nitrox

TDI advanced nitrox allows 100%, where as IANTD ADV nitrox and ANDI CSU put the 100% where it should be, with deco training..

If I run an ANDI CCR program, I have to administer the CSU final exam to prove equivalency, many "advanced nitrox" divers fail the exam and have to take CSU entirely or have a tutoring session.

To give you a better picture, the average CSU class takes somewhere around 12 hours to teach (depending on the students it could be +/- 1 or 2 hours)
I can do a TDI nitrox + advanced nitrox and cover all the material in about half the time.. I dont teach the IANTD classes but know their content and they are about the same as the TDI material.

There are several ITs that I know from IANTD and TDI that use the ANDI CSU (user manual) as their instructor guide for their agencies classes... The ANDI instructor manual is about 300 pages or so, with lots of background material not in the user manual. so the detail level is greater...

In NJ we have several ANDI facilities (we are also making one near dutch springs in the future).. For NJ I recommend Elite DIvers in north central NJ.. Joe and Nick are inspiration instructors so they could answer your CCR qustions as well..

Back
Top Bottom