• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

CCR supported locations throughout the Indo-Pacific

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by Jheard89, Feb 13, 2020.

1. marsh9077

marsh9077 Angel Fish

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    There is lot and lots of coral cover and is in amazing condition some of the best I have seen considering the depths your at.

They do get big stuff on the deep wall but its not an everyday event. However pretty regularly can find devil rays, marble rays, eagle rays, most reef species of shark, sometime get Jenkins whip rays, couple months ago they did have a whale shark on one of the recreational sites, and in the deep deep walls sometimes you get mola mola and thresher sharks. The new site that “Evan Davies” is talking about Phil and Lindsay discovered not very long ago and they have been seeing hammerheads there pretty regularly. For the small stuff you will get hundreds of fusillers, banner fish, surgeon fish, Spanish mackerels, GT’s, tuna, snappers, emperor angelfish, Moorish idols, banded sea kraits. Plus all the regular tropical sea life you would expect to find in this part of the world.

On the deep verticals walls you get tons and tons of huge gorgonian fans and black coral, barrel sponges, table corals, on the slopes you get huge fields of cabbage and mushroom corals, foliose coral

I would suggest you contact the three main diver centers Evan Devies listed and get some more info from them. They are all very very knowledgeable CCR divers and can help you out.

2. silent running

silent running Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Hello marsh9077, which specific part of the Gili’s are you referring to that have deep walls with bigger animals? I heard the nearest place like that to Gili Trawangan was in South Lombok, which is a whole day trip away from the Gili’s. The deep wall dive I did on Trawangan had no current and we only saw one big grouper down at 100m. It was a good training site but there was not much wildlife in Trawangan.

Generally speaking, I have found the highest medium and large fish aggregations in Indonesia to be in places with strong currents. Trawangan only has one or two spots that have current and those are the only places I saw a good number of fish. Very nice resort though...

3. Jheard89

Jheard89 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Sounds great. Wouldn't have expected to be able to see all of that. Thanks, I've followed them all on instagram. Judging by their photos you definitely weren't over exaggerating about the size of those surgeonfish schools!

Yea I've been to the Gilis once before. Didn't bother diving after seeing how smashed the shallow reefs were while snorkeling but I regret that now.

Ideally I'll be wanting to collect some samples as well as publish so I'll probably have all sorts of trouble with the research permit application process. Not a bad idea with the whole 'interning' thing. I'll do as you've advised and drop them a message. Maybe they'll be able to think of something.

Thanks for your suggestions!

4. Jheard89

Jheard89 Angel Fish

Thanks for the suggestions and your thorough descriptions. The Solomon Islands sound great and I'd love to do some research there as well as PNG. Problem with liveaboard diving for research is that I'd need to charter a boat purely for myself and colleagues, which is unlikely to fit within my budget. I'm pretty much restricted to day boats and shore diving unless I manage to squeeze my way onto a bigger expedition .

5. Jheard89

Jheard89 Angel Fish

Yea big stuff is great but it's not essential to my research. I'm interested in the fish community as a whole, and will probably be spending a lot of time looking for smaller, potentially undescribed species. The important thing is that there are actually mesophotic reefs down there, as opposed to mainly rubble with little coral cover, so what you're saying sounds very promising.
    Thanks again for your input!

6. D_Fresh

D_Fresh Barracuda

In Philippines, check out La Laguna Beach Club and their dive op "Laguna Dive Club". I'm not a CCR diver myself, but I believe they have their own units, so I assume they have all you'd need....

7. silent running

silent running Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I didn’t realize liveaboards were non optimal for your purposes.

In that case and with an eye towards land based and highest diversity, I would first suggest Alor Indonesia, this operation in particular:

Diving in Alor

The owner, Thomas, has the serious local knowledge you need to get best out of the Alor area. The range of environments is truly stunning, from steep walls rising out of abyssal valleys between the volcanic peaks of East Nusa Tenggara, to amazing sea mounts teeming with full food chain action, to mucky critter dives in the bay and the shallow fringing reefs up north, which have the greatest profusion of small tropical species and the healthiest hard corals I’ve ever seen.

I spoke to Thomas again last year about a potential trip, and he can get sorb from Bali and O2 with a month’s notice. He bought the O2 whip from my buddy after our trip, so all you would need is your CCR and back gas cylinders, which I had no trouble bringing around Indo on my 4 trips there. Of course Thomas does not have a booster, but if you use 3ltr/20cuft cylinders and cascade your fills from the highest pressure cylinders to lowest, you can get at least one day’s diving from a fill. And when you run low, Thomas’s boat is big enough to bring several O2 cylinders so you can decant between dives. His boat is also phenomenal, with a real head, plenty of shade and it has the best dive exit/entry ladder I’ve ever seen, its giant and about the size of a regular set of stairs.

The only other place that compared with the diversity and amount of life that I saw in Alor was in northern Papua New Guinea, Kimbe Bay. Walindi Plantation is the operation I dived with for a few day during my liveaboard stop over. They had nice, very fast day boats that could cover a lot of territory. Restorf Island was phenomenal for hard corals and tropicals. Kimbe Bay is extremely deep and has lots of pelagics out in the middle of the bay as well. Milne Bay also has fantastic diversity and density of life, but it’s harder to access the good stuff by day boat.

I’ve found most dive operators will allow solo CCR diving as long as you explain your redundancies, give them a sample dive plan and tell them you will shoot an SMB at the end of every dive. O2 can be ordered by any dive operation from the nearest hospital or welding supply. Sorb can usually be shipped in from the nearest big city. Most dive ops have to import all sorts of things in on a regular basis, so I’ve found they are usually willing to help with CCR logistics.

FindingMenno and Evan Davies like this.