CCV checkout dive and arrival logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Being asked whether we want to do the checkout dive Saturday, which requires that we're geared up by 3 pm. Our arrival time is 1:30. I don't know the logistics, but I am guessing that between immigration/customs, getting out of the airport, travel time, getting bags delivered, paperwork, etc., that a 3 PM jump time is not in the cards?

Not sure if there is an option to do a private one later. We're also coming redeye so may or may not be in ideal shape to get all of that done... cold cerveza and a hammock sounding better.....

I you can't make the time on Saturday, a private checkout later on that day, or Sunday should work. Remember to tip the DM though, as these later checkouts come on their normal time off.

If the worst thing you have to do is sip that Salva Vita, chill in the hammock and wait until Sunday to do the orientation dive .....life....is.......ok!

Reactions: Doc
I add +2 hours for timing the transition from wheels down to "happy toes in sand" at CCV.

This "dive on arrival day" came along only recently with the advent of flights that arrived before 1645 hrs. We didn't set foot at CCV until after dark but for recently.

There is some belief that dehydration can exacerbate DCS, but there is no debate that after an air flight, passengers are dehydrated per se. I vote for waiting until morning. At CCV, I'll dive Sunday thru Friday Noon and get 27 dives in that week.

Add in the factor of being rushed, even in the slightest, not the best recipe for a happy dive.

Now here's the mathematical and very interesting part of the equation seen by long time observers....
The people that "must get wet" in the first hour of arrival are usually logging just 20 dives during their week. What was the rush?

Go and nose around the resort during the daylight, get your bearings. The first night, most people don't stray from their practiced path between the Clubhouse and their room. As tiny as CCV is, newly arrived guests are still finding their way around until roughly Tuesday morning.

Follow the returning guest, there are many repeat visitors. We know all the short cuts on the resort, we can likely shave 8 maybe 10 feet off any given method of traversing the standard 1 minute between your room and the dive op. There have been many trips there that I have not ventured by foot outside of a 400 foot radius.

Eat, dive, dive, eat, nap, dive, dive, eat, dive, sleep, repeat.
27 is easy.

Sound seasonable. Thanks all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom