CCV - current tipping info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

candacebot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all

I have searched for this and did find some information but most of it is rather old. With booking confirmation I received a note that tipping is in a pool and should be around 10-15% of the cost of the trip, which is in line with what we would expect (we usually bring at least 20% of whatever the trip cost for gratuities.)

However, I would be grateful to hear if anyone is willing to share what is "usual" so far as DM and Captain tipping is concerned and the amount usually placed in the envelope for one week's stay? I want to be sure we bring enough cash.

Many thanks
Candace

How much to tip the DM and the Boatsman?

Always been a hard question to answer with precision. They’re going to be putting you safely over the side and in the water about 22 times, The DM will act as the best UW Naturalist you’ve likely ever experienced, say about 12 such intimately guided experiences. The Captain is going to be on you like white on rice, unobtrusive but you’ll figure out that he doesn’t want your blood on his sparkling clean boat.

I don’t ignore the “Night DM”, either. He’s there for me 5 nights a week, sometimes 2X a night. I’m crippled, but I can flop off of the boat. Night diving, he carries my tank. I gave that young man $20 per night and happy to do it.

You may hand these tip monies directly to the dive staff, but remember to do this before their departure at the end of your dive week. If you miss that, you can leave a separate envelope with the office for them specifically.

That suggested 10-15% group tip gets spread around to everyone else from housekeepers to wait staff and beyond.

Because of this, a job at CCV is highly coveted, and that absolutely is reflected in the product presented, often mis-perceived as an “island norm”. It is far and away the single best resort dive experience I’ve found in the Caribbean.

The staff has to live on an island that is now quite an expensive place to live, it wasn’t so 10 years ago, Cruise Ships made this so. The unfortunate fact is that if the package price had kept apace with cost of living, you wouldn’t be considering an experience of this level. Some decry this (and any other tipping system) but I suggest you should buy the best vacation you can afford. If you consider it a hidden cost, know this- There is no one looking over your shoulder in reference your tip amount. No one.

Recognize the exemplary service, tip accordingly.

@Doc - thank you very much for your insight!

Back
Top Bottom