CCV for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've never been to CCV.

Just curious if it is a good location for a newly certified diver. I've got 200+ dives, but my 17 yr old just got his open water certification. So far, all his diving has been shore (Blue Heron Bridge, and Jules Underwater in FL).

I thought CCV might be a good place to expose him to boat diving, but also have excellent shore diving if he prefers that. Might be a good stepping stone and confidence builder to do some shore and boat diving.

Side question: Anything to do at CCV besides dive?

Thanks!

Things to do at coco view..dive,dive,dive,dive sleep,read a book, eat,dive,sleep..maybe kayak a bit.

I've yet to go, but I hear it's a great place for novice and pro alike.

I have been twice, and I think its one of the best places you can take a newly certified person. With the shore dives he can learn how to plan your dives and navigate in a fairly safe current free area. He will be able to get in some night dives from shore in a great environment for first time night divers. And to top it off the boats are great, and the divemasters will treat him well. However keep in mind that the sea life is on the smaller side, so tell him not to get excited if he wants to chase sharks all day. You guys will be able to get 5 dives per day in easily, so make sure both of you get a nitrox certification.

Reactions: Doc
It's an excellent choice but its all about diving and its rustic.

If your tables/computer allow it, you can easily do six dives a day there.

A novice diver visiting CCV will have a great time, and would do well to avail themselves of Dockside Diving's Peak Performance Buoyancy class.

I've never been to CCV

Another option to look at is Anthony's Key on Roatan. Another great operation and I think they offer horseback riding as well as a few other activities. They have shore diving as well. I think they are running a 2-1 special all through this year so it makes for a really good deal.

AKR is the far and away favorite to many (esp at constant twofer pricing) but not to "divers" who have been to, and continue to return to...CCV (never discounted).

If you want to give your newly minted diver as much BT as possible, at CCV i get 27 a week, minimum 1hr dives. There are six operational shore dives on Roatan, If you give CCV an A (I do), I'll peg AKR as a C+. (FIBR = B- ; MLR = C ; and RHR = C)

Exposing a new diver to CCV's boats and that shoredive? They are going to have to understand before their next trip elsewhere that they've seen the simplest and the easiest. You've spoiled them, so to speak. Not an exaggeration.

Side question: Anything to do at CCV besides dive?

Not that I'm aware of, but I've only been there 35 times give or take. You really don't go there for non-dive diversions.

Last edited:
If you give CCV an A (I do), I'll peg AKR as a C+. (FIBR = B- ; MLR = C ; and RHR = C)

I'm interested in why you rank FIBR so highly. While the grounds are spectacular, the buildings are a shadow of their former glory and the dive op is pretty low end by Roatan standards. We shore dive there regularly but I wouldn't be caught dead in one of their dive boats.

Back
Top Bottom