CCV for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested in why you rank FIBR....

Re-read what I wrote... I was rating the various of the shore dives, not their dive-ops.

Many folks say that FIBR and CCV have the same shore dive...you're diving the same wreck and walls, right? They're both well protected from wind and wave, right?

The big difference lies in the conditions from the shore entry point to the Prince Albert Wreck. Because of the extensive dredging by FIBR, their gap is a grey moonscape that is occluded a great percentage of the time.

DSC_0007.JPG

Most evening dives from FIBR are done as drop offs from a large pram, exit is made by a swim to their gazebo. Fairly limited access hours.

The ocean gap to be traversed between CCV's entry and the Wreck is usally pretty clear and there's lots to see. It's 24/7 available and is used dusk to dawn.

DSC_0006.JPG

That's why I give what is seen by many two different ratings, an A for CCV and a B- for FIBR.

From the "wet deck" (the unlocked dive locker) at CCV, it's 85 paces across hard pack sand to the Ocean. To do the shore dive from FIBR, it's 1500 feet or so.

The DMs from both operations note that the best viz occurs reliably at "slack tide". I add that if its murky, head East of the RED buoy.

AKR has very limited hours to use their entry and have gear moved. The weather dictates that it is unusable a great number of days. It's pretty bleak for quite a distance out. Their best shore dive almost nobody does...right under their pier. Muck diving is not for everyone.

Media Luna MLR i so rate because it's a very long hump from shore, the lack of tanks and support, and that its square into the commonly seen waves. If rough, do night dives behind the large "half moon" shaped iron shore barrier, good spot for octos and crustaceans.

Reef House RHR, much the same issues except the equipment and staff are more than available. Even if it's rough, you can dive behind their concrete break wall, a fair night dive.

Comparing various dive operations, their boats, gear rooms and the physical plant, I'll leave that to another thread. This one has gone far enough astray.

Last edited:
Ok, I read too quickly and thought you were referring to the resort as a whole. I agree with your assessment.

My daughter was certified at CCV and we made 3 subsequent trips there together. No better place for a new diver, since you get walls, shore, boat, night, early AM, a significant-sized wreck right off shore.....pretty much everything you could want all served by a very well organized dive op. It is the perfect place for someone's first night dive, with easy to follow navigation.

Doc - What is your definition of Muck Diving? Daytime and Night-time please. Have a buddy with me on this trip that hasn't been in poor vis conditions. Would be good to him to experience some 10' vis.

Re-read what I wrote... I was rating the various of the shore dives, not their dive-ops.

Many folks say that FIBR and CCV have the same shore dive...you're diving the same wreck and walls, right? They're both well protected from wind and wave, right?

The big difference lies in the conditions from the shore entry point to the Prince Albert Wreck. Because of the extensive dredging by FIBR, their gap is a grey moonscape that is occluded a great percentage of the time.

View attachment 441893

Most evening dives from FIBR are done as drop offs from a large pram, exit is made by a swim to their gazebo. Fairly limited access hours.

The ocean gap to be traversed between CCV's entry and the Wreck is usally pretty clear and there's lots to see. It's 24/7 available and is used dusk to dawn.

View attachment 441894

That's why I give what is seen by many two different ratings, an A for CCV and a B- for FIBR.

From the "wet deck" (the unlocked dive locker) at CCV, it's 85 paces across hard pack sand to the Ocean. To do the shore dive from FIBR, it's 1500 feet or so.

The DMs from both operations note that the best viz occurs reliably at "slack tide". I add that if its murky, head East of the RED buoy.

AKR has very limited hours to use their entry and have gear moved. The weather dictates that it is unusable a great number of days. It's pretty bleak for quite a distance out. Their best shore dive almost nobody does...right under their pier. Muck diving is not for everyone.

Media Luna MLR i so rate because it's a very long hump from shore, the lack of tanks and support, and that its square into the commonly seen waves. If rough, do night dives behind the large "half moon" shaped iron shore barrier, good spot for octos and crustaceans.

Reef House RHR, much the same issues except the equipment and staff are more than available. Even if it's rough, you can dive behind their concrete break wall, a fair night dive.

Comparing various dive operations, their boats, gear rooms and the physical plant, I'll leave that to another thread. This one has gone far enough astray.

@Doc , those drawings are wonderful! A picture is truly worth a thousand words. I wish people would make more of those drawings for popular destinations and compile them in a book! They’d be so useful.

Those drawings indicate to me a very easy area to dive...quite shallow too if you avoid the 3000’ abyss beyond the green buoy. Is there really a physical chain to the wreck, airplane and back?

Rope from DC3 to wreck, then chain to your room. I drew this for my DM, slightly revised editions above.

Muck diving, at least my deff has nothing to do with viz, it's more an issue of the character of the bottom. Muck is muck, but that doesn't mean that a grey moonscape is lifeless. It harbors its own micro niche environment of critters. Patience and good observation skills reward those with good buoyancy skills. It's best to work in small teams that communicate well.

You can get some muck at CCV under the bungalows and cabanas, or to the North of the boat docks, but advise the Dive Deck Manager before you enter the boat channel back there. Another really good spot is right in front of the Northernmost beach of FIBR...there's and oval depression hidden over there that's lousy with Eels.

Day or night? Hmm, I find myself under the rooms on pilings in the afternoon as the light angle is best. The other stuff I do at night. Keep your flashlight low to the bottom pointed ahead...this causes shadows that expose critters.

There is life everywhere.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom