CCV overwater- bungalow or cabana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Booking our first trip 2016, no experience there. Choice as per subject line. We like interesting lodging but also quiet if possible, at night. Thoughts on the better choice? Currently have the furthest bungalow from the resort but can change to a cabana if we want

"Quiet" was what you were saying?

The difference between CCV "Center" and the closest-in Bungalow A and the furthest out Bungalow D is a big 79 feet 11 inches. Close to that.

There is really no need to be concerned about avoiding resort noise from CCV. If you are in Bungalow D, even though you are only that 80' closer to the neighboring Fantasy Island, understand that your unit has nothing but water between you and FI. 99% of the time this is irrelevant, as FIBR is largely devoid of any clientele- aint nobody staying there. If they can sell a week for $29.95 to a huge group, or during Semana Santa, FI becomes a pulsating throbbing disco until 2am. This effects all the people at FI, plus it can affect the unlucky souls in CCV Bungalow D. Not likely, just sayin', but avoid it Easter Week. (Bunglaow D as well as FIBR)

As far as noise from a unit next door? Not a big issue in any of the units. The Cabanas have a bit more screening between the units on their larger ocean facing sun porches versus the Bungalows.

The Bungalows have a bit brighter interior as they have more outside walls and windows. The Cabanas get a little cooler with A/C for this same reason, but C1 can get as toasty as any of the Bungalows- this is a very temporary 3pm kind-of effect. The "prettiest" rooms I believe are the Bungalows, but I'm not real big on picking rooms that way. What the Bungalows win in terms of appearance, it gives away with the much smaller balconies, which is where I spend 90% of my awake in the room time.

BOTH types have equal benefit of being "on stilts over the water". Often people say that AKR has this set up as well, but not quite. CCV's stilt units over the water are over an active changing intertidal reef zone. AKR's are over mud. So, you can sit on the balcony at CCV and watch everything from Rays to juvenile Nurse Sharks chase Crustaceans right under your feet.

Even the standard "on shore" rooms have this view, and those on the second floor have an even better (higher viewing angle access) look seaward. Many times from these second floor units we have seen Porpoises working their way into the Sunset, just offshore to the right.

Look at the buildings shown here (at the top of the diagrams):

The BUNGALOWS are the two 6 sided buildings to the left. The CABANAS are the 3 rectangular buildings to the right.

No artistic license, just the facts:

Look at my pics and you can see those interior rooms as well as the on-shore rooms...

CoCoView Explained In Pictures Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket
Click through them and read the picture descriptions.

Each has their own unique draw and utility. For many years, I was a C12 habitue, but now I have grown to like #17 (I am a 2x/night diver, and after you see unit #17, you'll know why I like it. Very dark, even while I'm sleeping during the day)

Pick a room (that is available), go on your first trip. Don't agonize. You'll be back and you'll have a specific room you might like all figured out. Be sure to ask fellow divers if you can have a look-see inside.

Last edited:
Chris,

i li have stayed in the rooms and the cabanas. The cabanas are larger than the rooms. I thought that both were fine. My wife expressed a marked preference for the cabanas.

I've stayed in C1, C3, not the bungalows. All are about the same...main difference is that C1 has a more open deck since it is the first one (open on 2 sides), with great views of the front yard. Similar and opposite layout is C12. C1 does seem to get warmer late in the day since, again, being the first one with it's freestanding side on the west...it gets the full brunt of the sun mid-late in the day. I was going to pick C12 for this year...alas we had to cancel our 2015 trip. One other note....when we were there in March 2014 they were in the process of upgrading the A/C units in various rooms.....ours received an instant upgrade while we were there since our A/C unit failed (very painless...came back from morning of diving after letting Mitch know and there it was) :) I assume that by now they have perhaps finished upgrading all of them. New unit seemed to work much better and much quieter.

About the most noise aggravation you might experience is if your neighbors are the type that let their screen door slam behind them when they leave.

C7 refugee here. Loved the Cabana. CCV is SCUBA Camp. Dive, dive, dive! Great for the whole family, assuming all are divers.

Have stayed in both cabanas and bungalows.

Better breeze through the cabanas (didn't need AC in the height of summer)

Also cabanas seem to get more of the soothing reef noise while bungalows seem to get more clubhouse sounds

I have stayed in two different cabanas, bungalow C and one of the beach houses. We will be staying in bungalow C again when we go back. It is my favorite for now. I really enjoyed walking back and forth over the water and found the marine life to be more active/abundant in the waters under the bungalows. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom