CDW insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you guys advise people to buy the additional CDW insurance for a rental car if it's offered? I'm renting a rental car in Mexico in a few weeks for about $3.00 a day. Total rental for 4 days is $12.00 before extra insurances. CDW is an extra $22 a day or a 400% increase in my rental rate. LOL.

I will lose my bragging rights of my $3.00 a day car rental victory if I buy the insurance, so you can see my dilemma.:D

The mexico forum is so slow, I figured I'd get better answers in this forum that is way busier.

Don't let the insurance cost lead you to skimp on insurance.

It would be my inarticulate opinion that only a damn fool would forego the additional insurance. Any insurance is always expensive until you need it, and then it's a bargain.

And I'm going to bet you don't get to take the car till you buy liability insurance. You are not getting away with $12.

Get the insurance and read the fine print.

Thinking of INTERNATIONAL car rental only, your credit card may cover CDW, but all of my credit cards only cover physical damage to vehicle and not loss of use. And, although it is a primary insurance, you would have to go through a benefits administrator, paperwork, hassle, etc.. for card company to pay. Purchasing CDW with car rental company puts it all on them and, for me, eliminates me worrying about it.

Would also consider the liability insurance which covers medical. Required by some car rental companies.

Having said that, in my travels to other countries, I've never rented a car in Mexico. Have only used taxi/bus in trips to Coz, Riviera Maya, and Nuevo Vallarta.

Like others have said, your rate per day is going up!! Have a great trip!

Basically in MX if you are in a wreck you go to the police station until the damages are settled. If you wreck the rental car, they will expect you to pay for the rental car before you leave the police station. How will you pay that on the spot? That is the issue.

I know Isis includes collision damage (ie what YOU do to the car YOU are driving) with like a $300ish deductible? Probably much less now with the exchange rate. If you drive her car off a cliff, you need to come up with just that amount.

And I'm going to bet you don't get to take the car till you buy liability insurance. You are not getting away with $12.

You made me look again... but it's in there bbb.jpg

Problem is I always get confused if my CC covers my CDW insurance in Mexico or not?

Back
Top Bottom