ceiling/GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since this has turned into Pedants Corner, now you have GF as 30 at some depth below the start of the ascent.

That's right, the first stop should be at GF30. But plotting the GFlow color scale right at the first stop will make it hard to read. It's a challenge to make this plot correct and easy to understand.

That's right, the first stop should be at GF30. But plotting the GFlow color scale right at the first stop will make it hard to read. It's a challenge to make this plot correct and easy to understand.
it just needs the ascent arrow moving right to align with the max depth axis and the blue ascent line to continue right also

Couldn't you just get rid of the vertical blue line under the GF Low settings, make the GF Low settings translucent and shift things so the horizontal ascent line, the dotted GF 30/80 line and the GF Low settings intersect at 30%?

Simple.... :wink:

Or maybe I'm wrong...

We are a bunch of nerds.

I really dislike these graphs. Not this one in particular but the whole set of them that try to show this. It did my head in initially due to having to start on the right and move left. And many of them are wrong.

One day we are going to get this right. Here's attempt #3:

GF-graph.svg

One day we are going to get this right. Here's attempt #3:

GF-graph.svg
It's really cute that you're engaging with us on this overly picky discussion. :rofl3:
Soooo...
Me? I'd add back a bit more room on the right of the chart so I could start the ascent right at the ambient pressure line (like you did in the very first drawing). What you've drawn is correct now (with an initial ascent line that is not horizontal), but the very first part of the ascent is hidden, and it may be misunderstood why the ascent seems to start at the 22% line, when in fact, that's just coincidental positioning of the arrow.
Perhaps to avoid a question about the percentage where the GF line intersects the y-axis, you might draw your orange dotted line such that it doesn't start until the first "knee" in the ascent, rather than extending all the way to the right side of the graph. Let the ambient and M value lines go all the way, but the GF dotted line only extends from first stop to surface (or you could have two additional bordering dotted lines at 30% & 80%, so your GF line could be seen to ascend between them, but I think that's too busy except for us geeks).

My 2¢ :D

And since we're picking nits...you may get a query as to why some early stops appear longer than a couple halfway thru the ascent.
Don't tell me you are DEEP STOP guys?!?!

Lol! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::stirpot:
(yes, I know there is no time axis) :wink:

Is this graph on a powerpoint, or file we can edit? I agree with what @rsingler is saying sorta. You could put the graph out here for all us critics (nerds) to post and debate to death.

Or, perhaps another way...see how your GF High and ascent line interact at the surface (on the far left side of the graph)? I think the beginning of the ascent should look similar in relationship to the GF Low.

Wouldn't you begin your ascent when your GF Low is 30% of the M value? I suspect that's exactly what you're depicting here, but it requires some extrapolation of the ascent line.

Wouldn't you begin your ascent when your GF Low is 30% of the M value?

I think you mean that you begin your first stop when your leading tissue hits GF low, no? You ascend from ambient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom