Cenote diving!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys think we should start a new "Offical" thread for this dive with the details on the first post? It may be easier for people to see and know it's definately on, and that snorkeling is now an option also - rather than getting halfway through to the end of this thread to find out all the details??

No new thread.
Just put your info in one post and we'll move it to the front of this thread. You can also make a list of those going with the info and we'll update it for you.

Hey Cardzard/Roxanne, could you please move this post to the front of the thread? Also, unlike you guys, I'm no pro at arranging these things (yet, hehe), so if you notice any info I left out, could you let me know? Also, feel free to edit as you see fit (and delete all this top part). THANK YOU!!!

For those of us going to the Invasion and staying extra days, we are arranging a Cenote dive for Sunday June 19th. Snorkeling will also be available for those who want to come with us who either don’t dive or aren’t comfortable diving them, but would still like to see them!

This is being arranged with Tank Ha dive op in Playa del Carmen.
Two 1-tank dives cost $110 (USD) and Snorkeling is $50 (USD). A $30 deposit is required to confirm your spot (Visa or Mastercard) – and the rest can be paid on the day of the dive via Visa, Mastercard, Cash, or Travelers Checks.
** The ferry to Playa del Carmen is also about $12 each way.

Package includes: tanks, weights, diving lamp, transportation, entrance fees, drinks and a lunch box. Rental gear is available for $15. There will also be no more than 4 divers to each 1 dive guide.

Cancellation Policy: If cancellation occurs more than 15 days before your planned
arrival, you will be refunded the amount charged, less $30 USD as cancellation fee. If cancellation occurs during the 15 days before your arrival, there will be no refund.

Getting to Tank Ha: We will be leaving on the ferry to Playa del Carmen at 7:00 AM (if you miss this ferry, you will miss the dive!!). Check in is at the dive shop by 8:15 AM. From the ferry pier it is about a 10 minute walk to the dive center. From the pier you walk up to the main street, turn right onto La Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue), turn left at the corner of 10th street, you will find them about 50yrds /mtr on the left side. From here, Tank Ha will provide transportation to the cenotes.

Useful Links:
Tank Ha website can be found HERE
For further questions, you can contact Marce (owner) at: marce@tankha.com (or send me a PM)
Secure Payment / Reservation fee can be made HERE
FAQ about the cenotes can be found HERE

List of people confirmed:
PansSiren (John)
LeannH (Leann) <-- Birthday Girl!! :D
Aggiebq86 and party (Jim, Hannah, and Robin (Robin as Snorkler)
Ramasule (Derek)

Some others are on the fence, we will update this list as we get confirmation!!

Lastly, Cardzard posted a wonderful video of the Dos Ojos Cenotes which we will be going to (don't know if we'll take the same 'lines') later in this thread, but I'll include it here also. This will be a great example of what we will experience first hand!!

[vimeo]22533046[/vimeo]

Last edited:
I can't wait to go!! Going to be the best birthday!!!!

Yes, I am up at 2am! The scheduling gods at work don't like me. I'm on my 4th 12 hour shift working 1130am to midnight!!! WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!
Week after next I get to do 5 night shifts! WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!! Ain't I the lucky one? I guess this is my punishment for going on vacation!

My "I GIVE A SH T " broke today!!! I NEED ALCOHOL!!!

I can't wait to go!! Going to be the best birthday!!!!

Yes, I am up at 2am! The scheduling gods at work don't like me. I'm on my 4th 12 hour shift working 1130am to midnight!!! WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!
Week after next I get to do 5 night shifts! WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!! Ain't I the lucky one? I guess this is my punishment for going on vacation!

My "I GIVE A SH T " broke today!!! I NEED ALCOHOL!!!

hahaha, you sound just like me! I think this trip is well deserved for pretty much EVERYONE on the boards! I work graveyard shifts stocking shelves at a grocery store - usually from 10-6:30 or 11:30-8, and there's almost always about 2 hours overtime. Add on my DUI and now I have to ride my bicycle back and forth (which I can't really say is my thing), lol. What's worse is that once I get home, it's nearly impossible for me to go to sleep in the daylight (and that's when you have to be functional with the rest of the world!) - so it's very common that I only sleep for 3-4 hours a day. I really can't wait til I'm done with school so I can quit all these stupid jobs!!

I haven't drank much at all in the last 2 years, but since being on probation (again, for DUI), I reeeaaalllyyy miss tuning in with old 'herb'ie hancock! lol!!

I reeeally miss those days!!! Can't risk my excellent Government job though.

I finally got some sleep today. Up at 1030, trip to IHOP and then a 4 hour nap!!!!!

Are we there yet?!?!?!?

The water will be about 75-79 degrees, you'll definately want a fullsuit on this dive. I'll be wearing a 3mm, but some people that get cold really easy wear a 5mm. These dives are pretty unique since we'll be diving both fresh and salt water. The cenotes are connected to the oceans, so that water streams in, and the rain water comes in from all the entrances and openings. The salt water is in the bottom half and fresh is on the top, and it's really cool because you can see the 2 mixing right in the middle at the halocline - it's like a swirling effect and it gets pretty blurry within those few inches.

In general, even in warm water, I like to wear some sort of suit for buoyancy and skin protection incase I accidentily bump into or rub against anything - and since the water gets colder the deeper you go... plus it makes you look like an underwater ninja, hahaha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom