Cenote Xperience- Amazing Cenote Dives, Amazing Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Maybe this does not belong in the Cozumel Forum...but we were staying in Coz, so the details apply.

We make it to Cozumel 2-3 times a year. We dive with Aldora and have no regrets, but this trip I wanted to do something a little different. I have heard of the Cenote dives in Playa and decided it was time.

I found a recommendation of Cenote Xperience on Scubaboard, but not much else. I rolled the dice and basically won big. First of all, the communication was immediate. emails were answered quickly and with any and all information I needed. We booked the three dive trip and were told that they would meet us at Senor Frogs and 7:45 am. We caught the 7:00 am ferry and as soon as we were off the boat, Martin was waiting for us exactly where we were supposed to meet.

He wanted to carry both our gear bags, but I carried mine (Im not THAT old), he carried my wifes. We walked to his truck for a quick ride to their shop for paperwork. He asked about out wetsuits and we had brought full 3 mils. They loaned us 3 mil shorty's to wear over them since the water temp was 74. They did not even charge us for the rental suits.

With paperwork signed, nitrox tanks loaded, and the included lunch picked up, we were off to the cenotes. I'd guess it was a 45 minute to an hour drive. Once you get off the highway, the dirt roads to the cenotes are pretty bad. It takes a while, but Martin is friendly and passionate about cenote diving. His enthusiasm is contagious and he is just a great guy to be around. The travel time passed quickly.

The first dive was "The Pit." Its a 90 foot deep hole with a partial overhang. You drop to 90 feet, passing through the halocline at around 40, to get to a layer of hydrogen sulfide that hangs on the bottom like fog. There are some old tree trunks that make the scene look like the headless horseman is about to come out and drag you away. Very spooky, but beautiful as well. The halocline resembles the dessert heat streamers you see off in the distance...but they are right in front of you and much more intense. You just have to experience it to understand. It like a hallucination where you cant really focus on anything. It not scary at all....I could have stayed in the halocline for a long time. From the bottom, you just make a slow spiraling assent for about a 45 minute total dive time. I suspect that this dive is to check your air consumption rate and buoyance skills before going on to Dos Ojos.

We paid a local $5 to lower our gear to the water (and raise it) so we would not have to go down the relatively steep steps geared up. Were old, with bad knees. It was money well spent. The water is cool. We were grateful for the extra shortys.

Dos Ojos is the real deal. You follow one of two lines and there is some full overhead, but there is always light visable...mostly. The Barbie Line and Bat Line were lots of fun. Martin goes slow, but there is still finning involved. My wife was done after the Barbie Line. I did the Bat Line with Martin and three dives had me worn out....but grinning from ear to ear. Ds Ojos is basically a swimming safety stop from start to finish. I don't think I was ever deeper than 30 feet, mostly 20 or less.

Afterwards, I showered off, changed clothes, and we headed back to the shop. They only charged me for Kelly's 2 dives even though we had booked three. The staff was friendly and just as passionate about the cenotes. It honestly felt like diving with friends.

We paid, and they dropped us back at the ferry pier. It was a long, tiring day, but I cant wait to do it again. When we got back to Cozumel, I had an email saying that I had left a coozie in his truck. The coozie has our local dive shops name on it and I told them I would get it next time. Instead, they met us the ferry as we were headed back to the Cancun Airport on our way back to the states. When tried to pay them for their gas and time...they refused to accept anything.

The service we had was perfect, no surprises whatsoever, and they went out of their way to make sure we had a great day of diving the cenotes. My wife was not a fan of the cenotes, she is glad she did it...but does not care if she does them again. I can wait to do it again!!! The only difference is I will only dive 2 in a day.

If you are considering cenotes (and you should be) you can not go wrong with Cenote Xperience. I will absolutely see them in March when we go back!!!

Safe Travels,
Jay

Glad to hear a good experience and great customer service. Sounds like a great day trip option for Cozumel trips to make a ferry run to the mainland for something different. See much animal life?

Richard.

On the way to the bottom of The Pit, there were a couple of eels and a few fish. In Dos Ojos, there were lots of shrimp, 2 large schools of glass slipper fish, a few other fish, and some really cool bats in the bat chamber on the Bat Line.

The big draw were the stalagtite formations and endless chambers in the cenotes. Honestly, my wife filed it under the "been there, done that" category. I can't say that I blame her, but I was always excited to see what was around the next turn. If you veered away from the line so you could peer into the connecting chambers, they seemed to call to you. I really don't have any desire to become a cave diver...but I can definately understand the obsession.

We have a group trip set in May, staying at Sunscape Sabor. The cab ride to the ferry will add at least $40 to the day, $20 in ferry rides, and $170 for 2 Cenote dives more than doubles the cost of 2 reef dives...so I may need to rob a few more 7-11's for the vacation fund...but it will be worth it.

Jay

I'll 2nd the recommendation for Cenote eXperience. I have dove cenotes' with them on three separate occasions. My wife liked them (both the shop & cenotes), said the cenotes were awesome (Dos Ojos) but not too interested in doing it again - "been there done that". My son was with me on one of the trips to Dos Ojos - Barbie & Pit. He loved them, not quite as much as Coz reefs but would definitely go again. My favorite trip was a single trip with Martin to Dreamscape which pushes the limit for a cavern dive. It is very tight and confined maze of stalactites/stalagmites. I suspect they will only take 1 or 2 divers with known experience\buoyancy skills to Dreamscape. After three trips I'd still like to go again but will not give up a day of reef dives unless there is a reason (port closure or taking a cenote 1st timer) then I'd go without hesitation.

My wife & I dove with 2-3 mm lavacore full suit and a vest. My son used a 3mm suit provided by the shop. We were all a little chilly but not too bad. Very 'refreshing' getting into the cenote but didn't get much colder as we went through our dive.

Glad you had a great experience and that you enjoyed the overhead environment. Welcome to the team.

After three trips I'd still like to go again but will not give up a day of reef dives unless there is a reason (port closure or taking a cenote 1st timer) then I'd go without hesitation.
When the port is closed, do the ferries to PDC still run?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom