Cenotes near Tulum/Playa: The Pit vs Angelita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, The Pit is a far greater dive than Angelita. You have the H2S cloud, awesome beams of light penetrating the water, great formations, etc... Whereas Angelita has no formations, and nothing more than the H2S cloud and a small swimthrough..

I was looking online and most of the dive operators say AOW certification is all that is needed. Would have assumed one would need at least a Cavern cert. Is The Pit and or other Cenotes safe for an AOW diver?

Inside The Pit is like being in a Costco building (but much nicer). Most of what you see will be 80 feet deep, all open, clearly see where your exit is. Yes it is an overhead environment but because it is so large you should not feel like you are in an enclosed space. Look at some pictures. It should be an easy dive. It is - in my opinion - one of those classic cenotes that should be on everyones list - if they want to dive a cenote.

Dove the Barbi line and the batt cave line backin July at Dos Ojos max depth about 40' great first cave dive
Thats where it began for me. Oceans were too rough for two days. Dive shop said they were going to a cenote the next day. I didn't know what that was. Did Dos Ohos that next day. Knew as soon as I was in there - this is what i wanted to do from now on!

Thanks all. Wanted to do The Pit and Calavera but my timescale is a bit too tight so will go for a the Pit and Dos Ojos (not sure which line yet). Hells Bells and Dream Gate are on the shortlist in case I ever come back.

Will let you know how it goes. Only other cenotes I've dived are Nayah and Nohmozon.

Old thread but which one is better for photos/video
El Pit for sure but go with a guide that knows the timing. The entrance is narrow and the light beams require the sun to be in the right place. Timing is essential.
With or without the sunlight the sulfur layer is fantastic as well as side caves and wall formations.

Attachments

• El Pit 1.JPG
    El Pit 1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 40
  • El Pit 2.JPG
    El Pit 2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 35
  • El Pit saftey stop.JPG
    El Pit saftey stop.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 37
  • El Pit sulfide.JPG
    El Pit sulfide.JPG