Ceramic knife and DIY sheath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyNutz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was walking through a store the other day and saw a ceramic (zirconium dioxide) knife on the shelf. The labelling said it is harder than hardened stainless steel (so it won't dull as easy) and will NOT rust or corrode under any circumstance.

... why are scuba manufacturers not making these knives? A quick google search says they are popular with divers, but I can't find a single one - so I'm thinking of buying some type of chef's knife and making my own sheath. Has anyone else used a ceramic knife underwater? What would be a good way to make sheath for it?

My only concern with a ceramic knife would be mechanical strength. Ceramic does not deform, so it is brittle unless part of a composite. A pure ceramic knife could not be used to pry or hammer underwater.

ah ha, touche! I didn't think of that. I may pick one up just to test that out! The knife I saw was the "Yoshi Blade" (as seen on TV), and you can get 2 for $20... and 2 free peelers!! haha! It was the same deal in the store all packaged together.

If you can't use it to pry with, someone should at least make a ceramic line cutter! No rusting and staying sharp much longer than steel sounds like a win to me!

What would be a good way to make sheath for it?

Take a length of 2" harness webbing & get a bootmaker to fold & stitch it into a sheath. I had one made for $5

You can buy nylon penlight or multi-tool sheaths in most camping/surplus shops. You'll sometimes find ones that will fit a steak knife size.

As mentioned, ceramic knives are only strong in certain ways. You absolutely cannot pry with one.

Thanks for all the replies!! Maybe I'll hold off on this idea... here I am thinking I'm some sort of genius... but I guess there's a reason they don't make them. lol!

On the flip side, I got a pair of shears today - I never used them before, they're pretty damn badass! Like you read all over on these forums, they seem much more useful than a knife would be for most situations. I'm glad I finally got a pair!

Hey Ram - CLICK HERE sssssssssss

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom