Cert diving with paraplegic diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMJulie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wanted to share a new experience I had yeserday.
Yesterday I dove with a handicap diver. He was a paraplegic. He was certified but very few dives. Yesterday's dive was actually his 2nd dive in the ocean.
The Dive Master that was going to lead the dive asked me if I would like to assist. I was a little nervous, having never dealt with this type of diver before, but decided that the experience would not only be good training, but very rewarding.
Here's how we did it. (Shore Dive at Koloa Landing, Kauai HI) DM drove as close to ramp as he could, diver then was in wheelchair at top of ramp. DM and another instructor carried diver into water, where I was waiting with gear. Got diver into gear then DM got his gear on, while I held onto diver in shallow water. We then 'tired diver tow' diver out to float. Once we were down it was great. Diver swam with arms, partial vest inflated and we had booties on his feet to help keep them floating. Diver was also in shortie wetsuit.
Between the DM and myself, we found all kinds of rare and beautiful things to share with him. Occasionally we had to lift his legs or feet so that he did not hit anything, but diver had a great time. Dive was 35ft, 35 minutes.

This dive was by far the most rewarding dive, I have done yet. I will remember this one for a long time and I am so glad that this diver picker our company (Aquatic Adventures Scuba) to take him out. If anyone ever has the opportunity to take a handicap diver on a dive, I say jump at the chance. It will make you look at diving in a new way and make you feel fantastic that you can help someone who has limits, be limitless.

Happy Diving!

It can be very rewarding for all concerned. I do heartily recommend that you take the training to become either a Certified HSA Instructor. Handicapped DM (upgrade to Instructor easily when the time comes) or as I did a Certified Dive Buddy by the Handicaped SCUBA Association http://www.hsascuba.com. The enthusiasm a handicapped diver brings to the water is contagious.

Monday, a quadriplegic (incomplete) diver I know is heading to Hawaii. He has 4 dives, 2 boat, 2 in Catalina off the stairs and is just waiting for his final two ocean beach dives to be certified. A sewage spill and a great surfing day kept him from being certified prior to leaving. While there he is planning on two dive days of 2 dives each. When he returns his instructor will do the final two beach dives and expects to certify him.

Julie, that is awesome!

I had the privilege of a similar experience a couple of years ago and I will never forget it. The guy came up to me later that day and hugged me and I just felt like I got to be a part of an unforgettable memory for him. Logistically, I was pretty intimidated but afterward, I realized that was all in my head for the most part.

Any way, good job and thanks for sharing your insights!

Taking my HSA instructor class in january. Can't wait to give the gift of diving to someone who thought they couldn't. How cool!!

Eric...Taking my HSA Instructor's training was a real challenge but so rewarding. I even incorporate techniques I learned through HSA in my able bodied classes...really improves their buoyancy control...HSA has 2 videos/DVD's they market, "To Fly in Freedom" & "Freedom at Depth" I use these videos in all of my classes now. The students really are impressed by these videos...super confidence builder for them!

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to help. I'll check out those videos too.

Eric

Is Jim Jim Gatacre teaching you? He runs HSA and is one of the best instructors I have ever had...if not the best!

Joe

The January Class is at the Long Beach Aquarium and is being done by Dive Heart which will issue an HSA Dive Buddy or Instructor certification, or another disabled certification organization if preferred.

Eric,
I will be there taking the course (again) too. I took it from Jim Gatacer as a Dive Buddy and now I will be taking the course again as I move to become an instructor to the disabled.

By the way, Challenges Foundation is teaching disabled veterans through the VA if you are interested. Right now we are instructing polytrauma, TBI and PTSD but once we obtain enough qualified assistants will move to the Long Beach VA (will be opening discussions with them soon) to do spinal cord and amputees.

GREAT!! I would love to help. NAUI Instructor and after the class an HSA cert. Let me know How to start. I am really looking to help disabled vet's. My father is a disabled vet, lost both his leg in Vietnam.

Eric,
Glad to have you aboard. Bryan asked me to respond your post and I told him we had already scheduled to meet.

Does your father dive? If not, if he health and physical conditioning will allow it is a great time to learn. I have already PM'd you and look forward to seeing you next Tuesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom