Certification and snorkels...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been told that PADI dropped the requirement for snorkels during certification. Is this true?

From 2014 PADI manual... unless I missed an update since.

Capture3.jpg

The 2015 Instructor Manual says the same thing. It also still has the confined water skin diving requirements.

I use a snorkel when teaching. I carry a collapseable snorkel in a bc pocket on other dives, if I am not wearing a snorkel. . One of the privileges of completing your certification is that you have the option of wearing a snorkel or not on a given dive. Consideration include whether there is a long surface swim to or from the dive site or boat, what you are used to, and requirements of the boat or dive leader.
DivemasterDennis

Even if a student never uses a snorkel again, at least having to wear the snorkel all through certification dives makes it seem less like the end of the world if they ever do need to wear one.

I have been told that PADI dropped the requirement for snorkels during certification. Is this true?
As the replies suggest, this is not the case as far as a number of PADI professionals are aware.

Where / from whom did you receive this information? It would be helpful to know if others have developed a similar impression from some public source, so that can be corrected / clarified.

Even if a student never uses a snorkel again, at least having to wear the snorkel all through certification dives makes it seem less like the end of the world if they ever do need to wear one.

I admit that I was one who ditched the snorkel soon after certification.
I am back to wearing (or at least carrying) one.

I learned my lesson en route to a dive site at Sodwana Bay in South Africa. The plan was to do a reef dive. About half way to the dive site, the captain suddenly stopped the boat and pointed out a whale shark close to the boat. Gear was secured to the boat to be donned at the planned dive site. Everyone rolled into the water to snorkel for a few minutes alongside the beautiful fish. Except for yours truly who had to keep pulling his head out of the water in order to breathe.

After about 10 or 15 minutes with the whale shark, we climbed back aboard the boat and still got an hour on our dive as planned.

Funny thing was that on that day, two boats went out. One was apparently looking specifically for whale sharks, but never found one and settled for another reef dive. We got both!

It is fun to say that I have the snorkel along "because I never know when I might run into another whale shark" when I do mostly cold Great Lakes diving, but I learned that day in South Africa that you just never know when that snorkel might come in handy.

Sorry about the highjack, but this thread brought me back to the experience that put the snorkel back in my regular kit. Back to the thread...

It is, as stated 34 times already, required for the student to have a snorkel. Where it is during the dives is a grey area. I have seen some instructors allow students just put them in their BCD pockets, for example.

Personally, I rarely use a snorkel fun diving or on trips, but I bring one just in case. I ended up using it at Socorro on nearly every dive -- watching mantas as I waited to be picked up made it worth having. That was the first time in years that I used it outside teaching.

Back
Top Bottom