Certification for diving the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By YMCA are you saying that your C-card is really old? I have a NAUI card from 1969 and the first time I went to Hawai'i (Maui, 2011) they accepted it for renting tanks etc and on the dive boat. It says "Scuba Diver" on it. I wrote to NAUI and asked for a card with updated terminology and they sent me a new card for around $30. I think the price has gone up. It's not that anybody didn't accept my old card, it's just that I didn't want it to ever be an issue so I got the new card.
Early '80s and indicates OW level cert.

I don't see why it would be a problem, but like turisops said, it's OW so there's always a chance they won't let you do an "AOW" dive, but I thought they only did that crap in California :wink: My girlfriend, who has a PADI OW card, has been on many boats where they say "the deepest part of the dive will be 90 feet." But that was mainly in Mexico.

Edit: come to think of it, they let me dive the backside of Molokini to 90 feet with my old Scuba Diver card.

I'm thinking it might make sense to get the PADI AOW upgrade whilst on the Big Island...

You know, kill two flies with one stone by having organized dive events and getting the AOW cert?

In 2012 I upgraded from a YMCA "Basic" card that I'd obtained in 1983 to PADI AOW certification. Prior to the upgrade my YMCA card was accepted for open water dives in California, Florida, and the Big Island.

Helpful info--thanks!

Edit: Do you have an opinion on a good dive outfit on The Big Island from which the PADI AOW cert. upgrade can be gotten?

I'm thinking it might make sense to get the PADI AOW upgrade whilst on the Big Island...

You know, kill two flies with one stone by having organized dive events and getting the AOW cert?

Sure, why not. My girlfriend probably won't do the AOW course until someone tells her she can't do a dive. So far, most dive ops seem to think that you are either a certified diver, or you are not. Meanwhile, it would suck if you really wanted to do a dive and they said you had to be AOW. You might save some $$$ if you skip the "refresher" and just take the AOW course.

I don't know just how "old school" you are but they made me wear a BC on the dive boat plus they are required for shore diving in Hawai'i. We didn't do any shore diving while on the Big Island because it looked too tricky for us old people, but I did lots of shore diving on Maui and they do seem to be watching for people who don't have the required gear (diver's flag float too for shore dives).

Edit: not sure who you are asking, but if you are staying in Kona there is Big Island Divers, Kona Honu Divers, and Jack's. All have great reputations except BID has been known to mis-handle sea creatures so some of us shun them. I've been diving with the first two and they were very good, aside from what I mentioned. Don't forget to do the Manta Ray Night Dive!!! It's probably the most amazing dive I've ever done. I did it twice so far. Any other dive ops in Kona may or may not be actual dive ops--some are like middle-men and you end up diving with one of the three mentioned anyway. That's just the impression I got and I don't have any supporting evidence :wink:

By YMCA are you saying that your C-card is really old? I have a NAUI card from 1969 and the first time I went to Hawai'i (Maui, 2011) they accepted it for renting tanks etc and on the dive boat. It says "Scuba Diver" on it. I wrote to NAUI and asked for a card with updated terminology and they sent me a new card for around $30. I think the price has gone up. It's not that anybody didn't accept my old card, it's just that I didn't want it to ever be an issue so I got the new card.

I did a similar thing, updating my NAUI "Sport Diver" from 1976 to the current AOW. I was never turned back for just showing my OW cards, but I feel more confident I can dive how and where I want with the AOW.

Sure, why not. My girlfriend probably won't do the AOW course until someone tells her she can't do a dive. So far, most dive ops seem to think that you are either a certified diver, or you are not. Meanwhile, it would suck if you really wanted to do a dive and they said you had to be AOW. You might save some $$$ if you skip the "refresher" and just take the AOW course.

I don't know just how "old school" you are but they made me wear a BC on the dive boat plus they are required for shore diving in Hawai'i. We didn't do any shore diving while on the Big Island because it looked too tricky for us old people, but I did lots of shore diving on Maui and they do seem to be watching for people who don't have the required gear (diver's flag float too for shore dives).

Edit: not sure who you are asking, but if you are staying in Kona there is Big Island Divers, Kona Honu Divers, and Jack's. All have great reputations except BID has been known to mis-handle sea creatures so some of us shun them. I've been diving with the first two and they were very good, aside from what I mentioned. Don't forget to do the Manta Ray Night Dive!!! It's probably the most amazing dive I've ever done. I did it twice so far. Any other dive ops in Kona may or may not be actual dive ops--some are like middle-men and you end up diving with one of the three mentioned anyway. That's just the impression I got and I don't have any supporting evidence :wink:

What he said. If you're staying further north, Kohala Divers in Kawaihae is also very good. (I've never heard any negative reports about BID, but I've not dived with them much.)

I did a similar thing, updating my NAUI "Sport Diver" from 1976 to the current AOW. I was never turned back for just showing my OW cards, but I feel more confident I can dive how and where I want with the AOW.

Did you take an additional course, or simply have them issue you a new card? My 1969 course got me a MSD card :wink:

Did you take an additional course, or simply have them issue you a new card? My 1969 course got me a MSD card :wink:
Yah, I got my Scuba Diver card on St Croix, USVI in 1974 and my Sport Diver on Guam in 1976. I got a replacement OW card for my lost Scuba Diver card a few years ago. Luckily I had kept my certificate they used to hand out. I also updated my Sport Diver card to the more recognized and accepted AOW. NAUI was very nice about both transactions, but internal records had been lost from that era, and if I hadn't had some kind of proof I would have been SOL. Sometimes I will flash my old Sport Diver card just for fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom