Certification for diving the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yah, I got my Scuba Diver card on St Croix, USVI in 1974 and my Sport Diver on Guam in 1976. I got a replacement OW card for my lost Scuba Diver card a few years ago. Luckily I had kept my certificate they used to hand out. I also updated my Sport Diver card to the more recognized and accepted AOW. NAUI was very nice about both transactions, but internal records had been lost from that era, and if I hadn't had some kind of proof I would have been SOL. Sometimes I will flash my old Sport Diver card just for fun.

They told me they didn't have any records before 1970 but I still had my original paper card plus the fancy plastic card which cost me an extra $5! That's a lot considering my course only cost $20 :wink: So, Sport Diver was the same as AOW. I never knew that. When I took my course I think they only had Scuba Diver and Instructor. I sent NAUI copies of all my old C-cards along with some money and they sent me a Master Scuba Diver card. When you think about it, that's only one word that they added. Since nobody is impressed with MSD any more I want a Super Scuba Diver card! :wink: When I was in Costa Rica a few years ago they found my original NAUI certification from '69 when they looked me up so it looks like it's all now in the records. :) I haven't shown my old C-card for quite some time but when I present my MSD card I'll sometimes get a comment such as "oh, there are two other master divers on board" or something equally as unexciting. I would have been happy with a card that said AOW, which is what I was expecting.

Some SCUBA certifications are in the same category as Indulgences from the Pope. Not worth the money you paid for them.

You might save some $$$ if you skip the "refresher" and just take the AOW course.

Already paid a non-refundable fee for the refresher. Besides which, I think it'll be a good thing to do.

I don't know just how "old school" you are but they made me wear a BC on the dive boat plus they are required for shore diving in Hawai'i. We didn't do any shore diving while on the Big Island because it looked too tricky for us old people, but I did lots of shore diving on Maui and they do seem to be watching for people who don't have the required gear (diver's flag float too for shore dives).

Having poked around the internet some, I'm thinking about doing some shore dives on The Big Island. I gather from your post that divers may be subject to inspection by an authority of some sort or another? Dive police?

Edit: not sure who you are asking, but if you are staying in Kona there is Big Island Divers, Kona Honu Divers, and Jack's. All have great reputations except BID has been known to mis-handle sea creatures so some of us shun them. I've been diving with the first two and they were very good, aside from what I mentioned. Don't forget to do the Manta Ray Night Dive!!! It's probably the most amazing dive I've ever done. I did it twice so far. Any other dive ops in Kona may or may not be actual dive ops--some are like middle-men and you end up diving with one of the three mentioned anyway. That's just the impression I got and I don't have any supporting evidence :wink:

The question was originally directed to @peterak, but answers to it by other experienced members is certainly most appreciated. Thanks for commenting on the manta ray night dive; I had been on the fence.

My buddy had a PADI Scuba Diver card that he got in a YMCA course in the late 70's. We started diving together in 2008 and did about 40 dives together over 4 years and then went to Kona for a week. He forgot his card and Jacks Diving Locker wasn't going to let him dive. They tried looking him up by his name and couldn't find anything. My buddy called his son at home to find his card and check for any info. They couldn't look anything up as those cards had no certification numbers. They wound up saying he could dive but I would have to be responsible for him.

Jump ahead 4 more years and he's still using the Scuba Diver card until we dive with Dressel Divers in Mexico. I had convinced him to get AOW certification at this time since it was "free." The person didn't recognize his card, made some calls, wouldn't let him do the AOW until he first got OW, which they let him do free, except for the cost of materials. Glad we were there for 2 weeks.

Regarding the Big Island, yes, do the Manta Dive, although I did it as a snorkel. It was cheaper and we had non-divers with us. I wondered how the divers liked kneeling on the bottom for 45 minutes. I think it's a matter of if you want to see the mantas swimming up or down. On the surface they would barrel roll and brushed up against us several times. Got some nice pictures.

I'll be on the Big Island again in the fall for a couple of weeks and besides the Manta dive/snorkel, plan to also do the Magic Pelagic (Jack's Diving Locker) dive, also called the Pelagic Blackwater dive or just Blackwater night dive with other ops.

As to OW/AOW and depth of dives, on that first trip to Kona, I was only OW at the time (and my buddy Scuba Diver) but 4 of the 6 dives we did were below 60 ft. The other two were 58' and 60'. My buddy, who had a computer was allowed to dive his plan, while I was supposed to surface sooner because I was still analog - and remember, I was supposed to be responsible for him!

Having poked around the internet some, I'm thinking about doing some shore dives on The Big Island. I gather from your post that divers may be subject to inspection by an authority of some sort or another? Dive police?

Like I said, I haven't actually done shore diving on Hawai'i, only on Maui. At one particular beach they had a woman who was basically taking a survey of what marine life the divers saw. Knowing that there are specific requirements, and assuming someone may be enforcing the rules, I would't be surprised is she was somehow involved in that. I've also seen park rangers at other beaches where people dive. At one particular beach the divers (myself included) would anchor their float at around 25 feet and pick it up on the way back. It's a good idea to have a name on it or some other way of identifying it from below. I've never been approached by an "dive police" but I was always in compliance (to the best of my knowledge). Any place that rents tanks should be able to give you all the info you need, including the best dive sites, currents, trade winds, etc.

M
Regarding the Big Island, yes, do the Manta Dive, although I did it as a snorkel. It was cheaper and we had non-divers with us. I wondered how the divers liked kneeling on the bottom for 45 minutes. I think it's a matter of if you want to see the mantas swimming up or down. On the surface they would barrel roll and brushed up against us several times. Got some nice pictures.

They over-weight you and you let all the air out of your BC and wrap your legs around a big rock. When the big ones swim over you they create so much current they can knock you over. The mantas swim over you, within a half inch of your head--sometimes they make contact. Occasionally they will do the same thing coming up from behind. When two mantas approach each other they will do a loop de loop and go back the way they came. They often swim straight at you and you can see all the way down their throats. I have not done the snorkel version of the dive so I can't say which is better, but my guess would be the scuba dive. Since you are staying in one place the whole time (usually) a little extra wet suit might be good. I got a little bit chilly in my 2.5mm full suit.

You're reading more into my use of the word crossover than is there - especially since this thread is at a rec level.

What I meant is what you're calling an upgrade.
Dude. They’re using rec terminology.

They often swim straight at you and you can see all the way down their throats. I have not done the snorkel version of the dive so I can't say which is better, but my guess would be the scuba dive. Since you are staying in one place the whole time (usually) a little extra wet suit might be good. I got a little bit chilly in my 2.5mm full suit.

Same view from above as you hold onto a modified surfboard, also staying in one place. Gets chilly on top also - wore 3 mm full suit in the month of February - water around 76º F. You kind of forget about it when the mantas start to show up!

ACFD70BE-ECA8-4B96-817D-081D7556CA4D.jpeg
Blue Wilderness is a great resource for shore diving they have 10 and 25 tank rental cards that makes it pretty cheap to rent. The Puako area has some great shore diving and Blue Wilderness did have maps of the area. Ali at Jacks is a great instructor for your AOW or Kohala Divers up north. I also attached a map of Black Pebble Beach which is south of Kona but an awesome shore dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom