• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DIR- Generic CF backplate for steel 104s

Discussion in 'DIR' started by flymolo, Jan 18, 2021.

1. flymolo

flymolo DIR Practitioner

Anyone use a carbon fiber backplate when diving double 104s? I've always dove with a steel backplate as that's all I've owned in the past, but I suspect that's overkill so I'd like to try something lighter. Seems like it should be fine in a drysuit with a set of 4th element arctics but figured I'd ask anyways.

2. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  3. mer

mer Tech Instructor

CF BP is a good choice, you don't NEED CF, but its benefits are reducing travel weight, and if you need more weight, you can choose where to put it (high/low/ditchable or fixed).

Just make sure if you need a short plate, you use a short plate... that's more important than weight placement flexibility.

The CF is plenty durable for heavy dubs and tsa abuse. But, I don't know if I would jam it under the tire of a vehicle stuck in mud like I "might" have done with a metal BP. ;-)

Ayisha and ericfine50 like this.
  4. flymolo

flymolo DIR Practitioner

thanks all. this is very helpful. i've never used trim weight when diving 104s with a steel plate, but i do use 4 pounds with a set of lp85s and 8 pounds when diving al80s. do ppl typically use trim weight with 104s and alum or cf backplates?

5. elgoog

elgoog DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I did not need any weights with the 104s and my Kydex backplate (which is practically the same weight as AL/CF). This was with a TLS350 and XM450 undies during C1 with @mer

flymolo likes this.
  6. dewdropsonrosa

dewdropsonrosa ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I have a DSS Kydex plate and have dove it with LP 108s before, no issues with the plate bearing the weight.

7. PfcAJ

PfcAJ Contributor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Did you empty your tanks and make sure?

8. elgoog

elgoog DIR Practitioner

Yep, emptied them down to just under 500psi on our day 0 shakedown dive at Troy. We got close to that on day 1 at Blue Grotto as well and confirmed it worked.

PfcAJ and flymolo like this.
  9. DiveTucson

DiveTucson Dive Shop

You could always go Titanium as well...

10. flymolo

flymolo DIR Practitioner

Actually I was considering platinum or palladium