Ch ch ch changes...those little goals we make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i just set a BIG goal... just bought my dress to wear to this years lds christmas ball :shocked:

i know i can do it... how i have something visual to remind me why i have to do it

Hi everyone. I'm new to the SB. I'm so glad there's a diet/fitness section here. I need to lose a bit of weight before learning to dive and going on a cruise in December. I am so out of shape but after reading a few threads on this board, I have figured out that I'm going to have to really step up the cardio! So far this year I have not had one Coke Cola. I've had other soft drinks but no Coke as I figured out I was addicted to it! I had to have at least 3-4 cans a day! So I vowed that 2008 would be a Coke free year! I have since gotten off of sodas all together and caffeinated tea as well, I just drink water now. I've slowly been converting to a mostly sugar free lifestyle. I can have 60% dark chocolate in moderation and preserves sweetened with fruit juice but no more that 15 grams of sugar a day. I did this a few years ago and lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks! Goes to shows how much simple carbs/sugar make me fat.

So my goal for the coming week (I weigh in on Saturdays) is to continue to cut out simple carbs (white flour, white rice, sugar) and to eat more fruits and veggies. So far I have lost 3.6 pounds this week.

Woohooo, Almity! How fun :) and what a great reward!

I'm looking forward to doing some serious shopping in July when I hit the States - that'll be my reward :)

Where are you visiting? Will you be in New York City at all? I can meet you and take you to the touristy sites.

Almity - you're welcome to join me :)

Voyage - welcome to ScubaBoard and our fitness area! I haven't had any coke since 25 April - didn't mean to give it up completely, but needed to cut back as it becomes such a habit for me. Have only missed it once or twice during particularly stressful times but once the stress was done, so was the craving!

Fairy - no New York for me. San Francisco at the start and end of my visit, Iowa/MN for the bulk of it, Florida for Invade the Keys. Lots of airports for me again! If I get to NYC one day I'll make sure to let you know, though!

Oh man, you're going to Invade the Keys this year?? Darn. I wish I could go again this year just to meet you!!

Yup, I'm looking forward to it and meeting lots of great SBers!

What a shame you aren't coming down...maybe you can sneak away - there's still time to book :wink:

I'm going to come hop on the bandwagon.

Vital stats: 5'6" and currently 203 and size 18/20. Started off in September 07 at 222 and size 20/22 and the simple change of a more active lifestyle and less snacking has resulted in the drop so far. My goal is 155 and a size 12 or smaller, but I don't have a particular date in mind.

I've always been overweight, like most 'big' folks, but never as excessively as I got over the past few years. I worked at a car dealership, which entailed a lot of sitting around and eating really fattening foods and snacking almost non-stop. I gained 40 lbs in 2 1/2 years. I'm now trying to undo that damage, and I'm already seeing huge benefits in what I'm doing. I'm not completely winded after going up a single flight of stairs (takes me 3 flights before I start getting even a little winded now), I've shed 6 lbs of lead in the pool (haven't been doing any OW dives lately, just pool classes), and I just generally have more energy.

My mid-term goal is to be able to bike 20 miles without being worn out. Right now I can do 10 without being completely dead at the end of it, but 12 is pushing it. Eventually I like to ride a century (100 miles) but that's a long time in the future! Next month is a midnight bike ride in Memphis, it's 17 miles on city streets (lots of hills) and I did it last summer but was completely beat at the end. I'd like to do it this year and not feel like my chest is exploding and my legs are falling off at the end.

Let's do a short term goal now. I tend to work in months, as weeks go by too quickly, but I'll try for both.

This week: Make it to 15 miles on the bike path. Also, go riding AT LEAST 3 times this week (with at least one of them being 15 miles). I share these rides with my husband, so I'm going to encourage him to this goal also.
Next week: 15 mile "Ride of Silence" in honor of cyclists killed on roadways, Wednesday night.
Sometime this month (weather dependent): Ride the mountain bike trail at John Bryan state park. 2.5 miles off-road, considered a 'beginner' mountain bike trail. Adding in the intermediate trail makes it 5.5 miles, I'm not sure if that'll stay a 'this month' goal.

Back
Top Bottom