Chamois in a JJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With a tablespoon of water/condensate consistently ending up in the bottom of the can after a couple hours of diving, is there any reason not to cut a disc of chamois to stick under the spring base to absorb and hold it? If you like sticking your head under ledges like I do, wouldn't this help keep the water away from the sensors? It wouldn't compress the scrubber canister spring but a half millimeter more.

I've dove with people who insisted on putting tampons in with their sorb, they are still alive. Maybe a pad in the btm might work. Not that I do it myself, might work though?????

we have them in the bottom of plenty of other units. I'd probably try to get it around the spring, but no reason it would cause any issues

With a tablespoon of water/condensate consistently ending up in the bottom of the can after a couple hours of diving, is there any reason not to cut a disc of chamois to stick under the spring base to absorb and hold it? If you like sticking your head under ledges like I do, wouldn't this help keep the water away from the sensors? It wouldn't compress the scrubber canister spring but a half millimeter more.

My JJ is at home and I am a long way away, but I think that water would have to get through the sorb or both counter-lungs to get to the cells.

You can get quite a lot of water there with no problem at all. On the other had a thing managing to get in the way of air flow could be bad...

Or you could just do nothing and pay attention to how much water accumulated. Soaking up the water may hide a potential problem that you need to address should it grow beyond a tablespoon. A small amount of water won't hurt the system but an accelerating leak you can't track might.

Back
Top Bottom