Chandelier Cave - safe for AOW diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....follow what the guides say you're fine.

Obviously... because a quick dive brief is now a fair replacement for proper training..

No training agency dictates what you'll do...common sense does.

Agencies give recommendations, because quite often common sense is lacking. Of course, that common sense does rely upon appropriate knowledge....and we're back to the benefits of proper training again...

Is it common sense to disregard recommendations that receive global consensus from the training agencies? How is that?

Is it common sense to disregard recommendations that receive global consensus from the training agencies? How is that?

How? When their 'one size fits all' recommendations lead to absurd results, such as we're seeing in this thread. Being thoughtful and cautious is good, being a dogmatic fool is something else entirely.

How? When their 'one size fits all' recommendations lead to absurd results, such as we're seeing in this thread. Being thoughtful and cautious is good, being a dogmatic fool is something else entirely.

Open Water Diver, untrained in cave/cavern/overhead... believes community recommendations are 'absurd'. I'll refer to the "Dunning-Kruger Effect'....

When I was a kid we had a group of us all about 7-10 years old. We had two aluminum row boats and a fairly large raft. We would sink and flip the row boats and tie them to opposite sides of the raft. We would then grab our masks and dive down and come up under the first boat. Down again and come up under the raft. Once more and we were under the second boat. Then back again.

Chandelier cave has about the same degree of difficulty......

What degree of difficulty do you attribute to scenarios like torch failure, silt-out or mistaken navigation into a 'malign' section of the cave?

Based solely on my one pass through Chandalier last week, I think that if all "caves" carried the degree of hazards/difficulty of Chandalier, no agency would have bothered to develop training for caves or caverns.

Really? Again? The OP probably died in the depths of Chandalier cavern by now. Originally this was a good question. Now it is tired. Note to anyone who bothers reading the entire thread: Nobody who has done the dive has any issues with it. Some very experienced divers who have never been in or near Chandalier cavern have made some assumptions with an eye to "ere on the side of safety". I understand where they are coming from but I would pay a bit more attention to those who actually know the specifics of the dive (Been there done that).

Open Water Diver, untrained in cave/cavern/overhead... believes community recommendations are 'absurd'. I'll refer to the "Dunning-Kruger Effect'....

You seem confused about the extent of my training and experience, but you refer to whatever you like. But refrain from trying to scare people away from what you consider ill-advised by outright lying about the likely scope of their dive insurance coverage.

oh you missed the entire two threads about how open water divers are a sub species of the real divers
we open water divers are just ruining things for them

Why is the rum always gone

Great to see some more useful replies have been added since I asked for information on Chandelier 'Cave' long ago, along with some less interesting discussions for the sake of discussing. :coffee:

So, Chandelier Cave, I've been there in April '12 and forgot to post my opinion... Best info to be found in the posts of ScubaGolf and debersole in the previous pages: should not be a problem for any non-claustrophobic, reasonably confident diver with decent buoyancy and some night dive experience. For those considering to do it: please draw your own conclusions based on the info in this thread from those who've actually been there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom