Changes/effects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I understand that there has been significant changes this weekend, leading to a ton of Error messages, as well as an entirely new set of Like and Thank features.

This thread is not intended as a complaint, but merely a way to discuss the changes, comment on any problems we see while using the forum, and make suggestions.

A couple of my thoughts:

This morning on my laptop, things do certainly seem to be running more smoothly than yesterday, but when I try to access SB forums from my phone (using Forum Runner) the page often fails to open. If I go back several steps and try again it seems to work. It does keep happening though.

While it seems fun (to some of us anyway) to see the return of the Thanks button, etc, I do not see the feature as having much use, the way it works at this time, as one has to open each and every notification if they wish to return to and review the individual post that has been Liked or Thanked. If there is a way to provide that info in the Notifications themselves it would be useful information to see quickly.

I do see that the location of the new feature buttons have been relocated into the individual's post, since yesterday, instead of being located in a separate box below the post. This does make for a lot cleaner look.

As always, change can come as a shock, but not all change is bad. Sometimes it is inevitable, sometimes welcomed, and sometimes resisted, almost always a struggle to face at first but in the end we will adapt. Already I have seen some of the early issues addressed and changed to work better.

Under notifications I am seeing numbers like 76 32 etc but when I click on the highlighted link all I see is the same page listing a few likes. Nothing close to those numbers and nothing new listed.

It is almost like it is slowing working through old messages, noting the likes but not actually processing. (My count prior to the change was 700 or so)

What is happening?

[-]Did an update change the way the top level of the forum works? It used to display all sections if I went there, but now it's a "forum home" that doesn't have the forums. Or am I in the wrong place?[/-]

This appears to have been resolved, don't know if it was a redirect issue at the server or a local cache issue.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of the change (even when the issues get resolved).

Previously we had a short elegant way of indicating general approbation for a post: like. Simple and easy to use.

Now we have two, and it is clunky. It bogs down threads. Plus: if we were going to have two buttons, why split them into two different kinds of approbation? Wouldn't having a good / bad or a like / dislike option be more useful than "I feel good about it this way" / "I feel good about it that way"?

Just sayin'. Constructive criticism. You can either like it, or I guess you can thank it.

I am not a big fan of the change (even when the issues get resolved).

Previously we had a short elegant way of indicating general approbation for a post: like. Simple and easy to use.

Now we have two, and it is clunky. It bogs down threads. Plus: if we were going to have two buttons, why split them into two different kinds of approbation? Wouldn't having a good / bad or a like / dislike option be more useful than "I feel good about it this way" / "I feel good about it that way"?

Just sayin'. Constructive criticism. You can either like it, or I guess you can thank it.

Hey Rhone... how are things?

Before likes, there were thanks, then likes, when we had likes, people asked for their "thanks" back, now we have both. If enough people think both is too much, we can consider removing one. At the same time, you certainly can't please everyone. There's simply too many people here to do that.

H.

PS. The guy who wrote Shadow Divers wrote a new book about the D.R. you probably remember some of the characters in the book from when you were there... The book will be out in June. Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship: Robert Kurson: 9781400063369: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
I agree with BDSC...what the heck are "Thanks"?

Honestly, I never even noticed that the number of "Likes" were tracked with a User's Profile. If I had noticed, it obviously never made much of an impression on me. Too funny.

Hey Rhone... how are things?

Before likes, there were thanks, then likes, when we had likes, people asked for their "thanks" back, now we have both. If enough people think both is too much, we can consider removing one. At the same time, you certainly can't please everyone. There's simply too many people here to do that.

H.

PS. The guy who wrote Shadow Divers wrote a new book about the D.R. you probably remember some of the characters in the book from when you were there... The book will be out in June. Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship: Robert Kurson: 9781400063369: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks, Howard. All good - will look out for the new book. Hope all is going well in Samana / Florida.

The like count disappeared and it was then restored. I think it is all for the better if a security hole was closed.

When the tanks button was removed the like button appeared. I didn't see what the problem was, it was still a way to show the poster an appreciation for their post. I think a person can use the 2 buttons and differentiate a post they liked or one that imparted information using the thanks button. I am pretty sure everybody who uses the board can use one or the other as they see fit. Long story short it's not a big deal and in a month nobody will really remember when it took place.

I can say I preferred the way that the notifications would let you know what it was that was liked. Not a show stopper though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom