Changes/effects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had Thanks before we had Likes. Then there were a handful of people who decided they wanted to see how many Thanks they could rack up, so they started thanking each other for every post ... some of these guys could rack up dozens of Thanks for saying "good morning". Some people complained that the feature was being abused, and the Thanks feature was removed. So after a suitable period of bitching and moaning, the ScubaBoard gods created Likes. Things seemed to run smoother ... for some reason, that handful of Thankful people weren't as Likeable.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added January 20th, 2015 at 02:42 PM ----------

The like count disappeared and it was then restored. I think it is all for the better if a security hole was closed.

When the tanks button was removed the like button appeared. I didn't see what the problem was, it was still a way to show the poster an appreciation for their post. I think a person can use the 2 buttons and differentiate a post they liked or one that imparted information using the thanks button. I am pretty sure everybody who uses the board can use one or the other as they see fit. Long story short it's not a big deal and in a month nobody will really remember when it took place.

I can say I preferred the way that the notifications would let you know what it was that was liked. Not a show stopper though.

... I'd Like to Thank you for that post ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Anyone else notice if you have an attachment on a post that is liked it shows a preview, like before, in the likes/thanks page?

see attached.
like_thanks.jpg

:silence:

:crickets:

---------- Post added January 21st, 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

On my phone none of that is visible

---------- Post added January 21st, 2015 at 06:00 PM ----------

Anyone else notice if you have an attachment on a post that is liked it shows a preview, like before, in the likes/thanks page?

see attached.
View attachment 201621

OK, now that i am able to use a real computer....no, not one of my notifications for a post with an attachment shows something like you posted here.

My notifications give no information at all besides the thread name and the user who thanked or liked the post. More info on which post has been clicked on would be very useful info. THAT is what I miss, using the new format. I WOULD like to see what post folks have responded to, without having to reopen each and every post.

Last edited:
I used the likes I got to help me be a better poster. It gave me very useful feedback. Change is hard, and I understand, but would really like to know -at a glance - which post was liked so I can continue to improve the information in my posts.

I used the likes I got to help me be a better poster. It gave me very useful feedback. Change is hard, and I understand, but would really like to know -at a glance - which post was liked so I can continue to improve the information in my posts.

+1
To me THAT was what I found most useful about the feature, being able to gauge response to a particular post.

Currently the feature is mostly a way of counting coupe, for those into that, but it offers me no useful feedback unless i want to go back to each and every click one at a time.

... for truly useful feedback we'd also need a f***-off button ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When have you ever been worried about PC, Jim?

Back
Top Bottom