Changing dive op attitudes to "solo"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawaii is going to be hit-or-miss. Officially, every diver taken diving by an op here is going to be required to dive "with" a guide/the group (chartering a boat and taking yourself diving is a different question). Unofficially, if you show up and demonstrate that you know what you're doing and have the appropriate gear for it (pony or other redundancy, bag/spool or reel, etc), just what "with" means... is open to a rather broad construction. But demonstrate is the key term here: not talk about how you know what you're doing, and not necessarily just wave a solo card around (though the card can't hurt).

While in Fiji in September, they allowed me to solo dive since I was doing it anyway. I'm a photographer and I made it pretty clear that I wasn't going to be with the group. They were a little cautious the first few dives, then they relaxed and we all had fun.

On a recent trip to Cozumel, I was paired up with someone who had much higher gas consumption. That led to a couple pretty short dives from the boat early in the week, as our dive guide made sure we ascended together. I also used this as an opportunity to practice shooting my SMB. By mid week, our guide was satisfied in both our abilities to safely ascend in our own, and let us finish independently.

We still swam loosely with the group, but often with different profiles. On a couple occasions, I did the first part of the dive 10 ft below the rest of the group, then moved higher toward the end. Our guide didn't have any problem with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawaii and the Caribbean is another matter entirely. I started a thread years ago trying to list Solo friendly charters, maybe we should update it here if it isn’t a thread hijack.
Not at all. Had that in mind as well with this thread.

And of course there are different degrees of solo, such as diving as a single diver in a group dive or as a completely independent diver. I think more dive ops tend to do the "don't ask, don't tell approach" (as Basking Ridge Diver so aptly put it) with group divers. It may be a little harder to get a boat or Captain to knowingly allow true independent diving, especially if they are not familiar with you.

When I have wanted to dive solo traveling I've been lucky enough to use ops that looked the other way once they saw me in the water or managed to find a like minded individual to splash with and agree to be same ocean buddies. Locally if I want to dive alone I do. Some of the quarries liked that I had a card that said solo diver. They like it more when I give them my solo instructor card.

For those interested, Akimbo has agreed to my posting a link to his thread. If anyone has an update or additional dive op that is solo friendly please use this thread...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/432809-solo-friendly-charters.html

It may even be worthwhile making it a Sticky in the solo forum until more dive ops see the light.

I thionk it depends. The comment about california charters puzzled me. I thought California was a taxi state, and thus the charter was not responsible for you once you exited the boat. Other states the charter is responsible for you till you dock and depart. The charters i have ben on require buddy system.

It is not their concern.

... the charter boats I have used in NJ do not allow solo. ...

What???

The only time I find this to be true is if I book as an "open seat" with a dive shop that is enforcing buddy rules on the boat. That indeed does happen.

Please PM me with what boat that was, I'm honestly amazed.

Want a nice mix:

John Jack - Seagoing Adventures - Information
Deep Expeditions - Dive Charters - Since 1999 (click on policy)
ATLANTIC WRECK DIVING INC (buddy dive on the Sea Lion? I suppose it could be done. Don't know, never tried.)

You WILL have to prove to the captain that you are a "solid" diver. Nothing more. Very situational, not terribly hard to do. Once you are found to be a reasonable diver, THEY WANT YOU.

Reactions: RJP
I agree that a sticky would be a useful tool for solo divers to select open minded operators. Those who are known to and those who are known not to, both are useful and would help me select who I spend my money and time with. Maybe do it by region.

N

If you are in a place where the boats are "solo adverse", find a like-minded buddy and you can be Same Ocean buddies.

I've been lucky, since diving the rebreather most of the dive ops leave me alone and let me do my own thing off the NC coast.

Back
Top Bottom