Changing dive op attitudes to "solo"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've met people with hundreds of dives over many years who struggle if they have to put their own rig together ... because they predominantly dive in places where the dive op crew always does it for them. ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Very interesting observation - so it begs the question - "if you own your own equipment are you more likely to be more aware of your equipment responsibility and by association become more safe?" Do people who are prone to panic - rent or own their own equipment? Would owning your own equipment cause you to rethink how you are diving and perhaps make you safer over the long run?

Very interesting observation - so it begs the question - "if you own your own equipment are you more likely to be more aware of your equipment responsibility and by association become more safe?" Do people who are prone to panic - rent or own their own equipment? Would owning your own equipment cause you to rethink how you are diving and perhaps make you safer over the long run?

A very valid question and there is some research which shows that people who invest in equipment, tend to dive more then those who don't.

The other side of the coin are vacation divers who constantly rent and because they're forced to make adjustments on a regular basis, they're use to it. I have many friends who dive only on vacation and they're good with gear.

People who make large financial investments in their own equipment tend to take their commitment to diving more seriously than those who don't. This goes well beyond equipment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People who have to struggle to put their own rig together properly should never have been certified. Absolutely never. This is so fundamental that I would question the credentials of whoever certified them. Obviously, they could never function in the traditional capacity of a 'buddy', whose first task is to double check the rigging of their partner before entering the water.

The basic inability to dive with some level of proficiency is one of the reasons I do my best to keep my distance from the clots of sloppy fools one encounters on many tropical guided tour scuba operations. I tend to return to the same operators year after year in part because they know me and understand my insistence on not being paired with these people. I prefer to move much more slowly then the typical group, and stay in touch by watching the surface storm their bubbles create, visible long after the group has disappeared into the blue haze.

Recent events in the solo forum have shown that perhaps solo diving is no longer in the closet and has become more acceptable to the general dive population. Just wondering if fellow solo divers have noticed a change in the attitude/acceptance of solo divers with dive operators in general. Our favorite dive boat out of WPB has gone from an informal allowance (heavy hunter clientele) to actually announcing during the dive briefing for the non hunting group that "if you find yourself separated from the dive guide and you feel comfortable" to continue the dive. Not exactly a blessing to solo but interesting none the less.

Anyone else willing to share their experiences?

Hi uncfnp,

I don't think the attitudes of dive ops have changed dramatically. However, I do get the feeling (from their body English and verbal tone) that most know that "times-are-a-change'n". I believe that as they see more divers flashing the Solo cert and gearing-up to solo dive is sending the signal.

When I am on a boat that does not allow solo, I still gear-up for solo. Actually, self-reliant because insta-buddies are like a box of chocolates. I take care of #1 in the water--while being a good buddy to the insta-buddy.

I use the same elevator speech when I am asked to buddy-up on a no-solo diver boat, and here it is: "I am a certified solo diver and I am geared-up with my solo kit. I am willing to dive solo or with an insta-buddy--your choice skipper."

All of the other divers onboard hear my speech and some have quietly asked if solo diving is legal. Sometimes I hear a low pitched guffaw. I have never defended myself because someone else has. I "feel" I am doing my part to spread the word about solo diving, 10 to 30 people at a time.

Some boats let me solo and some don't. Some SoCal boats try to buddy-up divers and some don't.

This is an excellent thread, and here are some of the posts that I really enjoyed:
#21: WPB and Narcosis was lots of fun. The two skippers took turns solo diving during our SI.
#23: I agree with this post, finding a like-minded buddy is difficult, my Master Scuba Cert wife is a good example--damned SOB diver.
#44,45,46: The points made in these posts are right-on the mark!!
#47: That last sentence ended your post beautifully!
#66: The moral of that story is perfect!!

Thanks for the great thread everyone!

markm

Thanks Markm. It has taken some interesting twists and turns and I appreciate everyone's input.

So you have dove Narcosis? Got to love Captain Van, cigars and all! And you are right, it would be pretty hippocritical for him to ban solo when he hunts solo pretty much every SI. He's shared more then a few lobsters with me and has gone out for us days that kept the other divers and Captains on shore. Imagine just him, Finch, me and Eric as the only divers on the boat that day. He's done it twice for us. The day Eric had a serious gear issue and Van offered his kit, we knew we were family. That's a special feeling for "vacation" divers.

Thanks Markm. It has taken some interesting twists and turns and I appreciate everyone's input.

So you have dove Narcosis? Got to love Captain Van, cigars and all! And you are right, it would be pretty hippocritical for him to ban solo when he hunts solo pretty much every SI. He's shared more then a few lobsters with me and has gone out for us days that kept the other divers and Captains on shore. Imagine just him, Finch, me and Eric as the only divers on the boat that day. He's done it twice for us. The day Eric had a serious gear issue and Van offered his kit, we knew we were family. That's a special feeling for "vacation" divers.

Hi uncfnp,

I am sorry it took me so long to respond to your reply. I do have a good excuse...I was gearing-up for a 3 day trip aboard DV Vision out of Santa Barbara. I was on a Dolphin Scuba Sacramento Charter. We dove the front side of Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands. Usually, the front side of those islands are swelled-out and blown-out. The ocean was like a lake! After the trip I had to clean and maintain my gear, and of course, go back to work. It was a splendid trip!

Onboard Vision, the captain states in his briefing that the divers are responsible for themselves. That includes your gas supply, your nitrogen load, your O2 ATA, your gear, and your buddy selection (or no buddy). They provide a surface safety swimmer who is wearing a wetsuit on the swim step. Solo diving is your choice (implied, not stated).

You know, when human beings are told that they are responsible for themselves, most take that responsibility seriously. We had no incidents except for a blown high pressure hose (underwater). That incident was minor--all involved handled the situation in-stride. Ho-hum!

Yeah, I enjoyed diving with Narcosis. One day, I was about the only paying customer. There may have been two or three of us--maybe. The boat left the dock and we dove even though it had to be a financial loser for the company. I couldn't say anything negative about Narcosis because it was all good--really good!

thanks,

markm

I still have to review this posting but I would like to chime in a bit. My history.... I have been diving since the early 80's and in the last 18 months I have been wet on about 75 dives all over the world. I have found myself in an odd situation where I am truly solo diving in uncharted waters. At some time years ago there were divers in the area where I live. Currently, I have been unable to find any divers with gear and a tank. I have started diving solo in the last few weeks. I did a beach entry and limited my diving to 16 meters. I also exited when I was at 100 bar rather than waiting until I was at 50 bar. My only limitation has been air.... while difficult to get, I can get it. I have heard about "Solo" certifications but until now I had no interest in solo diving and there are no instructors or dive shops I can take the training at. What is in the course? What does it cover and can it be taken by internet? Tonight I will try to read the full thread... If I can get the internet working at the hotel.... please don't beat me up for posting before reading... I am simply excited to find a thread that treats solo diving in a positive way! Best regards all!

I still have to review this posting but I would like to chime in a bit. My history.... I have been diving since the early 80's and in the last 18 months I have been wet on about 75 dives all over the world. I have found myself in an odd situation where I am truly solo diving in uncharted waters. At some time years ago there were divers in the area where I live. Currently, I have been unable to find any divers with gear and a tank. I have started diving solo in the last few weeks. I did a beach entry and limited my diving to 16 meters. I also exited when I was at 100 bar rather than waiting until I was at 50 bar. My only limitation has been air.... while difficult to get, I can get it. I have heard about "Solo" certifications but until now I had no interest in solo diving and there are no instructors or dive shops I can take the training at. What is in the course? What does it cover and can it be taken by internet? Tonight I will try to read the full thread... If I can get the internet working at the hotel.... please don't beat me up for posting before reading... I am simply excited to find a thread that treats solo diving in a positive way! Best regards all!

Hi Wandersome,

There are links on this thread that will take you to certification agencies that can explain their courses better than I can.

You will have to complete three training dives with PADI and SDI to get certified. I don't know about the other agency requirements.

I dive differently and carry different gear after being certified Solo. Rick, my instructor did get me to be more multi-issue, multi-task oriented. I was there already, but he increased my awareness to include more negative scenarios at the same time. And occasionally, I practice all of these multi-scenario techniques while on the same dive.

Analogy: Airplanes usually don't crash because of one issue. A non-functioning aileron does not normally bring down a plane. An engine-out on a multi-engine plane is usually not a problem. But, when you are on an airliner that has an engine-out and a control surface issue at the same time, you better hope you have a Top Gun graduate at the yoke.

Getting certified will only help you, and it definitely won't hurt you!

makrm

Thanks makrm... Living in odd out of the way places like I do has built in a few survival traits... I do try to think of possible issues and prepare for them. I'll look up some of the links and try to download some books to see what some of the key points are. Getting a cert will be at the next opportunity. Again.. Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom