Changing Drysuit Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
Hi all, I a looking at buying a used drysuit and was wondering what it would cost to change valves on the suit. It is an OS Systems shell suit that has a manual exhaust on the left shoulder. I think that I would like to replace it with an adjustable auto-exhaust valve at the wrist and replace the intake valve with one that is a little easier to operate. If these changes are possible, can y'all recomend a company who can do it? What valves do you recomend?

thanks!
kate

Hi "Kat",

The valve on the shoulder is in a VERY useful position.
I'd replace the (manual) valve with an "auto" rather than seal a hole and punch a new one. Your shoulder tends to be one of the highest points of your body when horizontal or upright and it is ideal for venting excess.

Replacing valves is not all that difficult ... just time consuming. The manual valve (discontinued quite a while ago) is sealed in with a calking compound that precludes the installation of any other glues in the area. That means that you need to remove that material before installing anything else in its place.

First step is to draw a circle around the original valve and cut the material out. This effectively removes the caulk. Then cut a matching circle out of new material (I'll send you some) to act as a patch. Then cut a bigger circle and glue it on the inside ... shiny side to shiny side. This is going to be your backing. Now fill that hole with the patch that you cut. When you have completed this, you should have the hole filled in and the suit structurally sound.

Next, glue the valve gasket ($14) onto the patch area. You will be able to see the nylon from the center of the gasket. With a sharp knife or scissors, remove that material. That's where you will be installing the valve.

Finally, apply a very slight amount of silicone grease to the face of the valve($138) and insert into the gasket. Make sure that the groove on the gasket is lined up with the ridge on the valve. On the inside of the suit, install the delrin friction ring and then the backing plate. Screw down hand tight.

NOTE: Only use PB-300 glue ($20) for this job.

Another option is to have your dealer do the job. for liability reasons, we can only do it at the factory if we install both the inlet and the exhaust and your Scubapro inlet valve is pretty much trouble free. Plus, the total valve job runs about $300 ... a lot of money for an old suit!

Hope that helps!

Just my $.02

RayC
http://www.ossystems.com

hi kate,
working on the theory that you dont put new parts on an old car,
just buy a new suit kate by the time you have messed around swapping valves and stuff you could have bought a new one and be the proud owner of a shiney article that you know wont spring a leak or fail you and send you rocketing skywards!!!
email me and we shall discuss it in depth!!!
twintanks@eurobell.co.uk regards nitrox

$300 valve job... Now I remember why I bought a new car!

Yes... I would LOVE to have a shiny new custom made suit, but it's just not in the budget.

Thanks for the instructions RayC! I have another one for you... Would it be a huge deal to remove the sock seals and make them shorter and reattach them? I didn't quite understand what you meant about the inflator. Are you saying that the existing one would probably be ok?

thanks!
kate

Shortening the socks is no big deal. Just sweat off the glued surface and clip the latex. Then put one layer of glue on the latex and another on the nylon. Let both set then put an additional one on the latex and let it get dry as well. Using a mold to hold the leg round, slip the seal in place. Then heat the glued area to reactivate the glue and roll smooth (use a roller available at most any hardware store or even a small pill bottle). Rolling gets the gas bubbles out and smashes the glued surfaces together well. I have complete instructions on the web site.
http://www.ossystems.com/repair/repr.htm

The old inlet valve is what used to be White's but is now Scubapro. They worked just fine and we had little or no problems with them.

Good luck!

RayC
http://www.ossystems.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom