Changing O-Ring With Battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Razz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Suunto Cobra 2 dive computer. Why is it recommended to change the O-ring when the battery is changed. My battery read low and I am going to Aruba next week. I changed the battery. The O-ring looks to be in perfect condition. I applied the appropriate lubricant and reinstalled it. If it is truly recommended to be changed, then I will have to do so when I get back. Thanks.

What, you serviced your own gear - omg you might die...

I can think of 3 reasons you might change the o-ring
1) If you were heavy handed when opening the back (you have to pry some Oceanic computers, not sure about Suunto) and damage the o-ring
2) You don't bother to clean and inspect the o-ring and mating surfaces
3) Eventually, the rubber ages, gets hard and/and cracks (a couple of years down the road)

I don't change my o-rings every time, so far, so good. But eventually I will.

Why is changing the o-ring recommended?

Because a $0.07 o-ring might be the cheapest insurance policy out there for a $700.00 computer. You'll probably be fine but you might want to re-examine the risk/reward calculation you ran.

If the Cobra 2 uses the same kit that the Cobra does, Suunto gets to sell more $0.07 o rings for $20.

As I recall, the o ring is a standard size 026. Same ring is used on the Gekko, Vyper, Cobra, Oceanic Versa and Versa Pro.

Last edited:
What, you serviced your own gear - omg you might die...

I can think of 3 reasons you might change the o-ring
1) If you were heavy handed when opening the back (you have to pry some Oceanic computers, not sure about Suunto) and damage the o-ring
2) You don't bother to clean and inspect the o-ring and mating surfaces
3) Eventually, the rubber ages, gets hard and/and cracks (a couple of years down the road)

I don't change my o-rings every time, so far, so good. But eventually I will.

4) The O ring may be pressed out of shape (likely) and is no longer round. The real reason a new o-ring is provided with most battery replacements. IMHO. Round = better seal when you shut the battery door.

4) The O ring may be pressed out of shape (likely) and is no longer round. The real reason a new o-ring is provided with most battery replacements. IMHO. Round = better seal when you shut the battery door.

I am a bit more pessimistic, the manufactures know they can sell a special "battery replacement kit" for more profit than a commodity like a battery.

Why do you think a DC O-ring needs to be replaced every time you open the computer when this is not true for dive lights, strobes, camera housings and tanks which all tend to see years of service?

I buy the battery kits from Ebay. For $10 you get a Sony battery, O ring and some silicone grease. But I'm sure you'll be fine using the old O ring until the next battery change.

Adam

The o-ring is in deed an 026 31.47 x 1.78 mm shore 70. Same as the EON, VYPER, Cobra1,2&3

the O-rings are cheap. If you have one, change it when chaging battery. If you don't happen to have one when changing the battery, just clean & lube O-ring and sealing surface. I'm sure you can reuse the same O-ring once or twice, but for what they cost it's not really worth the risk. Normally I change it when I put a new battery in, but have reused the same O-ring without issue when I was leaving for a dive trip the next day and put a new battery in.

I buy the battery kits from Ebay. For $10 you get a Sony battery, O ring and some silicone grease. But I'm sure you'll be fine using the old O ring until the next battery change.

Adam

Are these "authorized" kits from the manufacturer or kits someone put together who thinks they know the proper specs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom