Changing Sonar/bottom machine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaredWaites

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm just curious, I've got a single frequency Sitex sonar. I love the unit but am thinking of upgrading to a higher wattage transducer and a dual frequency unit.

Who has used a dual frequency by Sitex and what's a good or the best model to go with?

TIA

- Jared

I would check in over at the The Hull Truth - Powered by vBulletin and then go to their Electronics Forum and ask your question there. There are very few boaters on this site and the few of us here are very diverse.

I have no info on the SiTex but I bet you can get some at the site I gave the link to.

Good luck.

N

Everything I've seen shows that while Sitex used to be the top of the line
with their forward looking stuff, they haven't done much if any development
in the last 10 years.

What's the problem you are trying to solve? Salt water or fresh? How
deep?

And most importantly, what's the budget? The answers will be very
different for $200, $500, $2000.

Some boaters only need the depth, some just want to see fish, but a serious diver needs precice location and excellent bottom resolution to find the wreacks and structure. If you want the best for a resonable price, get yourself a Samyung.

................Samyung Marine Electronics ..........

8" Color LCD Chart Plotter ......
Package: Dual Freq Digital fish finder......
Navis 800F Main Unit......
SAN-60 Active GPS antenna.....
ACC-CAB-001 DC power cable.......
SCN-16-8p Data cable connector.....
ACC-800 Installation kit.......
HBT-37-600 50/200 BTH Transducer...

(Normally $1,995.00) Just $1,795.....

Two year warranty included at no extra charge

Shipped to you.

Just send a check and your shipping address

Newenglandcharters
p.o. box 1585
Saco, Me 04072
Newenglandcharters@maine.rr.com

32760d1246028040-lowrance-lcx-16ci-gps-chartplotter-sounder-picture-744.jpg

I never saw much need for dual frequency for anything within diving depths. I always have used a single high frequency unit. If you plan on fishing deeper water also then the dual frequency machine may be a better choice.

Yeah I am planning on fishing 300-500 foot in saltwater. I'm an avid fisherman and new to diving so I'm eager to get more strength out of my machine.

NewEnglandCharters:

I already have a Raymarine 4KW Radar and a Chart Plotter. Just need a stand alone bottom machine.

I never saw much need for dual frequency for anything within diving depths. I always have used a single high frequency unit. If you plan on fishing deeper water also then the dual frequency machine may be a better choice.

I can sometimes see small ledges with the 80kHz that don't show on the 200kHz. I assume this is because the cone diameter (averaging) of the 200kHz beam is much wider than that of the 80kHz narrow beam. Of course, if I cannot see them on 80 or 200 then I can see them on the side image at 455kHz.

N

Furuno is hard to beat when it comes to radar and sonar. I have both and I would definately reecomend a furuno for a bottom machine.

Jared,
Raymarine does not have stand alone sounders anymore. Do you have a C or E-Series? if so, definitely go with the DSM300 black box. There is a large variety of transducer options. Most at 600W are single element. Looking for max bottom detail? up the power to 1000W. Still want stand alone? then start leaning to Furuno the FCV-585 can run at 1000W. 200ft to 250ft is where 600W of power or less really starts to suffer. How big is your boat? - if your big enough, you might even want to consider 2or3kW, more power = more detail, not just more depth. I fish and dive the Gulf as well and we run to the Keys a lot. I have 1kW and wished I went to 3kW but alas, my boat is only 29ft.

I think there are more boat owners on this board than realized. I was thinking of starting a thread with waypoints to share with friends. Want to dive off Sanibel Island for example? It would be hard to find the good spots even asking the local dive shops. This is my neck of the water, I could give you a few spots. ...just an idea

Back
Top Bottom