Chankanaab vs Punta Sur Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I'm going to be in Cozumel in a few weeks. I promised the kids a beach day. Any recommendations of Chankanaab vs Punta Sur for playing in the surf and a bit of snorkeling? The kids are age 10 and 14.

We have no interested in caged dolphins.

Thanks for any recommendations.

The beach at Punta Sur is far superior to that of Chankanaab. The snorkeling is better as well but it is a long snorkel out to the reef. The shore snorkeling at Chankanaab is pretty good and easily accessible. The shoreline there is rocky so there will be no opportunity for playing in the surf and the current does move a bit from time to time so just swimming without fins isn't as easy.

Hello all,

I'm going to be in Cozumel in a few weeks. I promised the kids a beach day. Any recommendations of Chankanaab vs Punta Sur for playing in the surf and a bit of snorkeling? The kids are age 10 and 14.

We have no interested in caged dolphins.

Thanks for any recommendations.
There is no surf on the west side of the island unless the port is closed and no one is diving - please don't wish for that! :D
There isn't a real beach at Chankanaab, either. There's a large sandy area, but at the water there's a rock wall with steps down to the water.

Discover Mexico has a new operation at Chankanaab park, down on the southern end, but inside the park. It is called "The Cabana Beach". They have private family cabanas for rent by the day, right at the waters' edge. The cabanas are open in front, facing the water, with beds, chairs, ceiling fan, concierge, waiters, and food service. The snorkeling would be much better for the kids there because it is a very far swim to the reef in Punta Sur with nothing but a sandy bottom to see unless you get all the way to the reef. Their website is thecabanabeach.com

Discover Mexico has a new operation at Chankanaab park ... Their website is thecabanabeach.com

Interesting that Discover Mexico only quotes prices in USD, not pesos (even on the Spanish language version of the website). Maybe I should turn them in to PROFECO? :rofl3:

The website also doesn't indicate if park admission is included - would you happen to know, @el-graduado? We have the local Parks card that includes admission to Chankanaab.

I would head down to Punta Sur. Beach is lovely, stop in and climb up the lighthouse and take in the view. Pics from this last Christmas day.

upload_2019-3-27_20-39-30.png

upload_2019-3-27_20-40-26.png

upload_2019-3-27_20-41-38.png

Interesting that Discover Mexico only quotes prices in USD, not pesos (even on the Spanish language version of the website). Maybe I should turn them in to PROFECO? :rofl3:

The website also doesn't indicate if park admission is included - would you happen to know, @el-graduado? We have the local Parks card that includes admission to Chankanaab.

1. I don't think it is a law that prices must be quoted in pesos on a website, only that a conversion rate be posted in business's physical location and that pesos be accepted as a form of payment at the place the service is provided. A lot of tourist-oriented businesses in Cozumel post their prices in dollars, since their market is mainly US tourists. I know of no Cozumel business that won't accept pesos in payment.

2. Have you ever gone through the paperwork involved in "turning someone in" to PROFECO?

3. Their website DOES say the price of admission is included in the cost of the cabana. I doubt that they would deduct that cost from their total price just because you have a parks' card, though.

1. I don't think it is a law that prices must be quoted in pesos on a website, only that a conversion rate be posted in business's physical location and that pesos be accepted as a form of payment at the place the service is provided. A lot of tourist-oriented businesses in Cozumel post their prices in dollars, since their market is mainly US tourists. I know of no Cozumel business that won't accept pesos in payment.
Not withstanding that a lot of businesses in Cozumel post prices only in dollars, my understanding is that any advertisement, including online, must give a price in pesos or the conversion rate, although I haven't gotten around to wading through all of Ley Federal de Protección al Consumidor, Artículo 7 bis. (Kudos to @Christi and BlueXTSea for posting their conversion rate on their site.)

2. Have you ever gone through the paperwork involved in "turning someone in" to PROFECO?
Hence the ROTFLMAO emoticon. Although it sounds like you have a story there? Please post in The Pub - I'd be curious to hear it!

Supposedly PROFECO's live chat option is relatively easy, and they frequently have English-speaking representatives online at Official PROFECO Portal. For anyone else who's following, there's a quick primmer in English at What Everyone Should Know About Mexico’s Consumer Protection Law

Back
Top Bottom