Channel Islands... What do I need to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well an update. They called me in the afternoon saying that I could come pick up my gear. I get to the boat and the attitude of the DM was like they were doing me a favor by calling Eco to get my a credit because I was late, until I pointed out that I followed their instructions by telling the deck hand that I was parking my car, and that I was at the dock at 6:59. His attitude changed, but at no point did he apologize even a fake one. The closet that the DM got was "I hope you have better luck next time," well I hope your hair falls out from that hair bleach.

I called Eco, to their credit the manager called me back and refunded me within 15 minutes of my call to their shop. But again no apology, or even an attempt at one.

So overall 0/10 stars.

I’ll be sure to hold this story against them the next time I’m thining of diving the Channel Islands and I’ll spread the word with my NorCal buddies.

I’ll be sure to hold this story against them the next time I’m thining of diving the Channel Islands and I’ll spread the word with my NorCal buddies.

I am sure that if you arrive and get everything done really early they are probably fine. But it shows the level of customer service that they have, and the lack of professionalism not following industry standard practices like pre-departure roll calls.

Other negative about the boat that I didn't really expound on, as I only only on it for long enough to take my gear on and off; is that the dive deck is small. Like I've had more room on a tropical cattle boat.

Anyways reviews of the three other operators I dove with. I might put together an AAR threads with videos and other thoughts once I get a chance to mull things over on the road.

Sundiver International:
Great company to work with, actually stopped me from doing too much on my own like walking from my seat with my fins on. Food was good, the dive sites are good, and they take customer input as two of the dive sites were by customer request. And the boat was comfortable. 10/10.

Catalina Scuba:
The DMs took me out to see some longer distance sights like the Skipjack, and were helpful at pointing things out. If you don't want to bring your own gear, they have pretty good rental gear. Dive Rite Transplates with travel wings, Atomic regs, and Aqualung 7mm wetsuits. They didn't believe me when I guesstimated that my weighting at 10lbs, so the other staff member, who wasn't scheduled to dive, even purposely entered the water with spare weight in case I couldn't get down. That is very good customer service. 10/10 though next time I think I would want to go with a like minded buddy.

Tech Diving Limited:
Despite Joel and I clashing over some minor things (though he probably doesn't think one of them was minor), he does run a pretty good operation and helped me get situated pretty well. Just don't bring cave filled tanks. I would give it 7/10 mostly as I don't think the B-29 dive site is worth $450.

I am sure that if you arrive and get everything done really early they are probably fine. But it shows the level of customer service that they have, and the lack of professionalism not following industry standard practices like pre-departure roll calls.

Other negative about the boat that I didn't really expound on, as I only only on it for long enough to take my gear on and off; is that the dive deck is small. Like I've had more room on a tropical cattle boat.

Anyways reviews of the three other operators I dove with. I might put together an AAR threads with videos and other thoughts once I get a chance to mull things over on the road.

Sundiver International:
Great company to work with, actually stopped me from doing too much on my own like walking from my seat with my fins on. Food was good, the dive sites are good, and they take customer input as two of the dive sites were by customer request. And the boat was comfortable. 10/10.

Catalina Scuba:
The DMs took me out to see some longer distance sights like the Skipjack, and were helpful at pointing things out. If you don't want to bring your own gear, they have pretty good rental gear. Dive Rite Transplates with travel wings, Atomic regs, and Aqualung 7mm wetsuits. They didn't believe me when I guesstimated that my weighting at 10lbs, so the other staff member, who wasn't scheduled to dive, even purposely entered the water with spare weight in case I couldn't get down. That is very good customer service. 10/10 though next time I think I would want to go with a like minded buddy.

Tech Diving Limited:
Despite Joel and I clashing over some minor things (though he probably doesn't think one of them was minor), he does run a pretty good operation and helped me get situated pretty well. Just don't bring cave filled tanks. I would give it 7/10 mostly as I don't think the B-29 dive site is worth $450.

I would love to see a write up especially about TDL as I had planned on doing that next spring but... now.. maybe not...

Sundiver International:

Catalina Scuba:

Tech Diving Limited:

Agreed 100% about sundiver, they are fantastic. 10/10

Disagree about TDL; they are horrible. So full of themselves it’s intolerable. I’ve never met anyone who was actually great at something that felt the need to mention it every 30 seconds; it’s always the exact opposite. I’ve never heard someone brag to a customer about ripping off prior customers. I’ve never heard a crew so critical of a customers gear configuration (it was full DIR ) , so critical of how my gear sat on the boat (I was self contained and using a smaller tote than them) , never heard someone **** on my local diving location so much, and lastly, after all the **** talking about how awesome they were, to have them kick up silt is just sad. I have it on video.

I would love to see a write up especially about TDL as I had planned on doing that next spring but... now.. maybe not...

Do not use TDL, hands down the worst I’ve ever experienced. I think they use Las Vegas Scuba’s boat anyways and he too has the permit.

I’ve already flamed them more than I intended to but if you want to hear more PM me.

I was looking for it and forget where it was. Can you screen shot it and post ?

Just search for it in the FB SM group. His rant was so over the top it was effing hysterical. Reminded me of the local shop I asked if they overfilled. That shop went into drama llama territory. No need for that. Just say “we don’t overfill.” Something tells me if I showed up with my 85s filled to 3000, Joel would go off on me. No need to worry about that. I won’t be diving out there.

AD1A5263-21FF-4929-AF44-DEDB97B34232.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom