Channel Islands... What do I need to know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I'm so happy you got to see the Giant Sea Bass! They're not as rare as they used to be, thankfully, but there's still no guarantee you'll see them on a short trip to Catalina. Fun fact, despite what we call them, they're not actually bass.

Apparently Sea Bass are pretty rare, sooooo….. I got a video of three of them at one time. The DM said that it is a female with two males competing to breed with her.

Rad

The Magician ******* left me. I'm too pissed to even attempt to not use foul language.

So I am the very definition of "If you aren't 15 minutes early you are late." So I get to the dock at 6:15am. I bring my tank on board and do my paperwork including getting on the day's roster. I think go back for my gear. The dive deck is so cramped that I couldn't bring my box on board, I just start bringing things onboard one by one. Again the dive deck is cramped so I pull my tank out of the holder to another area of the deck so I can put my BC on it and head back to the car.

The deck hand say's tell him if you are leaving the boat, so I tell him that I am moving my car to the permanent parking area. As the near by parking is all for the restaurant. After finding what had to be the furthermost parking sport, I parked and start walking back to the dock. I check my watch 6:55, got plenty of time. I round the corner to the dock and what do I see the ******* boat pulling away. I hoot and I hollar, a couple of the divers point, I'm not sure if they attempt notify the crew. I get to the dock, and they are just continuing underway. I look at my watch (which is synced to my phone) 6:59am. Departure time is 7:00.

It wouldn't be so bad if I were late but I was ******* on time. And what sort of Mickey Mouse operation doesn't do a predeparture roll call?

So now I have a dry day, but I can't wash my gear or go over yesterday's footage because that is all on the ******* boat.

:rant::rant:

I should've just scheduled two days on the SDE, I had a great time on her boat.

I'm not exactly local to the Magician but this will absolutely be in my head next time I'm thinking of going down there. That's some serious BS and they need to be held accountable.

Jon

ETA: Surely, they are aware of your disability? Can't really hide that right? WTF is wrong with these guys? It's either incompetence for not taking roll, or they're just complete assholes.

OH Boy... I'm sorry to hear this MD. Please let us know the outcome and I wish you best of luck.

They just called me "Are you OK? All your gear is on the boat." No I am ******* livid.

ETA: Surely, they are aware of your disability? Can't really hide that right? WTF is wrong with these guys? It's either incompetence for not taking roll, or they're just complete assholes.

I really didn't bring it up, as there wasn't really a moment to do so.

But even if I wasn't disabled, the whole thing is a bit screwed up. I've never been on a boat that didn't do a roll call before departure. As that not only ensures that everyone is on the boat, but that you have everyone on the boat on the roll.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom