Charleston, SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Will be visiting Charleston, SC on August 8-15 with my wife.
She will be attending a conference, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to spend my time. Diving is of course preferred. :wink:
Any board member here that would like to go diving? Any recommendations concerning charters are welcome and I've heared good things about some fossile diving?

aquaoren:
Will be visiting Charleston, SC on August 8-15 with my wife.
She will be attending a conference, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to spend my time. Diving is of course preferred. :wink:
Any board member here that would like to go diving? Any recommendations concerning charters are welcome and I've heared good things about some fossile diving?
We booked a trip with Charleston Scuba a couple years ago. They seemed like good people, we visited their store. Unfortunately we were blown out the next morning so never made the dive. They also book trips exclusively with Capt. Tom McMillan, who I understood to be one of the better fossil teeth divers on the Cooper River. It's blackwater diving so bring lights. The water's really warm there due to proximity to the Gulf Stream, it was about 85' when we dove in Myrtle Beach just up the coast a few days later.

Also check out the South Carolina Aquarium, they have a tank with a viewing window that's got to be 3 or 4 stories tall. It's based around what you'd see in the Charleston area.

If you're a war buff, visit Patriot's Point Naval Museum, they have the USS Yorktown and some other ships. It was better than I expected. And there's a boat ride out to Fort Sumter, the starting point of the U.S. Civil War.

Steve

www.charlestonscuba.com
www.scaquarium.org

aquaoren:
C'mon people, I can't believe there are no people diving in Charleston. :wink:
Sorry my charter is full for that time period.But let me recomend Johnny Cercopely,Cooperriverdiving.com<Bill Routh offthewalldiving.com,or Alec Blalock/DeepSouthRivers.com If I can be of any other assistance please feel free to contact me at backwaterdiversions.com or pm me on this board. yours sincerely scubadaddee

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Did 8 dives in 2 days in the Cooper River with Bill Routh from http://www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html and had lots of fun. I can strongly recommend him for dives on the river.
My loot wasn't a rich as the other, more experienced diver in looking for the artifacts but I'm still happy. Some of the diver found nice spear and arrow heads, some old bottles and one even found a mastodon bone.

Back
Top Bottom