Charlestown, RI plane dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabrah

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've heard rumors, which have neither been confirmed nor denied, that there are two WWII planes located off the Charlestown breachway. Has anyone been able to locate them"? I understand they drift several feet a year...

I've heard rumors, which have neither been confirmed nor denied, that there are two WWII planes located off the Charlestown breachway. Has anyone been able to locate them"? I understand they drift several feet a year...

It's not a rumour. There is an F6F Grumma Hellcat just to the East of the Breachway and an A4D Skyraiderto the West. We have been diving the Hellcat for years.

The Pilot was trying to make an emergency landing at the Charlestown NAS but didn't quite make it. The plane that is, the pilot was fine and was back flying the next day.

Sean, we have been unable to locate the Hellcat after several attempts... is it accessible from shore? (We don't have access to a boat, but plan on purchasing next year). However, I'd love to dive the wreck if you could provide any additional info about the specific location of the wreck? Is it marked on nautical charts? Thank you sir!

Sean, we have been unable to locate the Hellcat after several attempts... is it accessible from shore? (We don't have access to a boat, but plan on purchasing next year). However, I'd love to dive the wreck if you could provide any additional info about the specific location of the wreck? Is it marked on nautical charts? Thank you sir!

You need a boat and GPS. There is no buoy unless someone has put one on it. It is not marked on the chart(many of the wrecks we dive are not marked). Big storms can move it around a bit so you need to get on the numbers, throw the hook and go down with a reel and do a circle search. I wouldn't waste my time trying it from shore. You would be better off diving the Hercules.

Not much to see on the Hercules either. Most of it is under the sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom