Charters in Palm Beach and Broward Counties opened back up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"if it's not on Facebook, it didn't happen"
~my mother

Hi @JimBlay

Thanks very much for your report. This kind of information is very important for folks deciding when to go back out diving and who to dive with. I would have to fly down to West Palm in addition to choosing operators, so my decision is a little more complicated.

I am in complete agreement with your analysis of your recent trip. I believe that operators are limited to 10 individuals on the dive deck. This might not include the captain if he/she is on a flybridge. That leaves room for 7-9 divers along with a mate and/or guide and/or captain. However, the boat can really only take a half load to maintain distancing between divers with an open dive position between each. In addition, all divers and crew should wear a mask or equivalent at all times while not diving. For reasons stated above, that's the only way everyone will be protected. There also needs to be a policy for water, snacks, and hand sanitation.

I am aware of several operators closely following guidelines. If practices are not specifically posted on an operator's website, I suggest calling ahead to check.

Take care, stay healthy, good diving :)

It would be great if others would post their recent experience in this thread.

Hi @JimBlay

Thanks very much for your report. This kind of information is very important for folks deciding when to go back out diving and who to dive with. I would have to fly down to West Palm in addition to choosing operators, so my decision is a little more complicated.

I am in complete agreement with your analysis of your recent trip. I believe that operators are limited to 10 individuals on the dive deck. This might not include the captain if he/she is on a flybridge. That leaves room for 7-9 divers along with a mate and/or guide and/or captain. However, the boat can really only take a half load to maintain distancing between divers with an open dive position between each. In addition, all divers and crew should wear a mask or equivalent at all times while not diving. For reasons stated above, that's the only way everyone will be protected. There also needs to be a policy for water, snacks, and hand sanitation.

I am aware of several operators closely following guidelines. If practices are not specifically posted on an operator's website, I suggest calling ahead to check.

Take care, stay healthy, good diving :)

It would be great if others would post their recent experience in this thread.
I wonder if a closed sticky in this forum might be appropriate. One that users could submit to a staff member a "review" of procedures on local dive boats and they could be pasted into the thread for information.

ie no discussion - just informational purposes. a repository of sorts.

I recognize that this may be a lot of operations - but think getting the information gathered in a centralized (non-political) location might beneficial.

Sounds like Miami Dade and possibly Broward are planning phase 1 opening in the next week....

Beautiful day diving yesterday with Diversity off of Highland Beach and Boca Raton. Calm west winds, seas less than 1', mid-80s air temp, 80 degree water temp, 50-80' visibility. We did Finks Grouper Hole and Brighton Ledge.

Hi:

I went out with Pura Vida to Teardrop and Elevator shaft. Saw lots of loggerheads (big ones) and two Goliath groupers. Who do you dive with?

thank you

You summarized this operator very well.

Oh. Sorry. Now I read more of your posts.

Pura Vida Divers take the mask ordinance seriously and only allow 8 divers per boat. It feels like a luxury.

Oh. Sorry. Now I read more of your posts.

Pura Vida Divers take the mask ordinance seriously and only allow 8 divers per boat. It feels like a luxury.
On the call earlier there are many places in Broward where stores are requiring the face mask to go into stores, but once inside people remove the masks or children are not wearing them.

They were talking about how the sheriff's have the power to ticket/fine business owners and citizens for failing to follow the emergency orders.

Are Florida boat prices the same now as they were pre covid?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom