Chasing Coral - Netflix Documentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dallas Edwards

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Netflix released a new documentary yesterday named, "Chasing Coral." The synopsis:
Coral reefs around the world are vanishing at an unprecedented rate. A team of divers, photographers and scientists set out on a thrilling ocean adventure to discover why and to reveal the underwater mystery to the world.

Chasing Coral on Netflix

What do you all think?

Just finished watching it, holy crap that was depressing. I'd say the videography was beautiful but that isn't really the right word, incredibly well done but almost horrific to watch. I don't understand how people can deny global warming with evidence like this. Also some of the diving is a bit questionable, just sitting/standing/walking on presumably dead coral but still.

My brother and I just watched it today and I totally agree how depressing it was. Insane how 50% of the worlds coral reefs are dead in such a short span.

I don't understand how people can deny global warming with evidence like this. .

I know there are many that deny global warming. But it's not just that: people just don't care enough.
Those that don't deny that the planet is getting warmer but they just don't want to actually act on it.
It's all about apathy for many.

Well done but depressing.

One other thing that can make corals bleach is too much solar irradiance (reference CO2 Science ). The sun has been crazy bright over the past few decades but looks like it may be on an overall down trend, which might help the corals...

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/sorce/files/2011/09/TIM_TSI_Reconstruction-1.png
TIM_TSI_Reconstruction-1.png

Last edited:
Also some of the diving is a bit questionable, just sitting/standing/walking on presumably dead coral but still.

To quote Jeff Orlowski (director) and Andrew Ackerman (cinematographer): "Often we would be shooting in very small spaces, so wearing fins wasn’t always a good thing. They make it easier to swim, yes, but also make it easier to kick coral and disturb sand. I would often ditch the fins and walk around on the bottom of the sea floor when traveling from site to site."

Andrew is a buddy of mine from college, so I am really proud of him and his cinematography on this film. That being said, as everybody else has noted... it is a tough subject.

Just watched this movie. Very inspiring and bring insight to many things. I one day wish to visit the Great Barrier Reef although it won't be for many more years but hopefully it is still there when I get the chance.

Also I believe global warming is just a bad name for the situation and leads to a lot of the misbelief. Warming and cooling of the earth is a normal thing but not at the rate of which humans are contributing to it.

Back
Top Bottom