CHDK Hack - possible added functionality to some Canon Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick question that I was not able to find the answer to easily on the CHDK forms. Do any of you who use CHDK with the SD series (like the SD 870IS) know if CHDK allows these cameras to operate im manual modes such AV, TV or full manual? I do not own an SD series, but might consider getting an SD 870IS for a lightweight underwater travel camera if manual modes were enabled because of the wide angle it has 28mm - the widest angle you can get on any A series is 35 mm.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer

2 CHDK questions for the Canon 570IS.

1. In the RAW settings there is an option for RAW noise reduction. Should this setting be set to off, on, or auto for underwater photography?

2. To the right of the histogram, testing out of water, a -2 in red shows up before a picture. What is this? It does not seem to go away changing aperture, shudder speed, etc.

Quick question that I was not able to find the answer to easily on the CHDK forms. Do any of you who use CHDK with the SD series (like the SD 870IS) know if CHDK allows these cameras to operate im manual modes such AV, TV or full manual? I do not own an SD series, but might consider getting an SD 870IS for a lightweight underwater travel camera if manual modes were enabled because of the wide angle it has 28mm - the widest angle you can get on any A series is 35 mm.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer

See:

IXUS860IS - CHDK Wiki

CHDK for Dummies - CHDK Wiki

CHDK firmware usage/AllBest - CHDK Wiki

I've been looking at the 870 for the same reasons, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The CHDK docs are about as clear as mud, but after skimming, I'd guess it does NOT add manual controls, but you can do some shutter/ap/ISO overrides that might deliver something similar to actual manual controls.

Give it a shot!

CompuDude

Thanks! The last link suggested that you could "override" both shutter spped and aperture values in "all modes, both auto and manual". If this is true then full manual is available, although it may not be easy to change either underwater.

I also am waiting to pull the trigger. Really would like to get my hands on one with the hack or at minimum hear from someone who uses the hack with an 870 before I plunk down the cash for another camera and underwater case.

My camera is the 710is. CHDK has been running on my camera for over a year. However, it wasn't until recently that I upgraded to the latest version of CHDK and performed the necessary steps to activate the .dng format (RAW file container).
I decided on DNG so that I do not have to do any conversion so that a graphics program can read the files. If you just shoot the RAW format, you will have to process the images afterwards in DNG4PS2.

A user on the CHDK forum posts:
"the dng can be opened by nearly all GFX programs on your computer, no need to convert first. the raw files cannot be opened by a lot of programs.
also, the dng contains a lot of exif data and the whitebalance etc, while the raw file doesnt."

Also, if you are running an older version of CHDK, you should really upgrade. I was really surprised at the amount of changes since my last version. My interface now displays # of DNG images remaining, temperatures of the CCD, lens, and batteries, current time with seconds, battery percentage meter, etc.

I would also highly recommend utilizing 2 gigabyte cards so that your camera will autoboot the CHDK firmware. I now have 3 cards that will autoboot.

I can't believe this has been out this long and I never heard about it...

I just loaded it on my S5 IS and it works flawlessly. I used their Card Tricks program to format my 4 gig ultra 2 card to FAT and make it bootable and loaded the program. It works great. :D

Now I just have to figure out what I can do, and how to do it.

Thanks given.

.DNG format really kills my battery on A620 vs the .CRW raw though.

.CRW i can get 300+ photos out of a set. When writing .DNG thats nearer 80.

Dam wish this was working on the G10 would really like more than of 15 second exposures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom