Cheap and Easy Knife Tether

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

android

Contributor
Reaction score
Since everyone seems to lose dive knives, I decided I'd like to tether mine with a coil lanyard. All the stuff at the dive shop seemed way to heavy and clunky (and expensive.)

I picked up a "Security Tether" at Office Depot for $5 which is a light plastic coil which stretches to about 3' and stows at about 4". Just ask them for the coiled plastic key rings and they will show you where they are.

I took off the crappy hook and ring since they look like rust waiting to happen.

I looped one end through the knife handle and secured with wire-ties and made a loop on the other end for a plastic snap hook. Locking plastic hooks can be found cheap at REI in the tent/backpack section.

The sheath is mounted on my BCD strap and the hook stays clipped onto a nearby D ring, but if the need arises, it can be unclipped.

You can't swing from it, but it should be strong enough to save my knife if it accidently releases from the sheath.

android:
You can't swing from it, but it should be strong enough to save my knife if it accidently releases from the sheath.

If there is a possibility the knife is not secure, you need a different knife/sheath.

post a photo if you can.

Green_Manelishi:
If there is a possibility the knife is not secure, you need a different knife/sheath.

Well, it's a Wenoka squeeze-lock and I don't see any way that it could release unintentionally, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's always a chance that I can fumble finger with gloves on, thinks it's secure and it's not really clicked.

I'll post a photo when i get a few minutes.

Just my humble opinion and not a flame but ...

Why would you want a knife tether?

It seems to me that the most common scenario for needing a knife would be to free yourself from some kind of entanglement. Wouldn't a knife tether only prove to make the situation "more" dangerous?

Personally I would make sure that my knife fit securely in it's sheath and that it was within the reach of either hand.

Imagine if you will...

comming up to a 30' deco stop, you find yourself snared in a gill net. You reach for your trusty knife, With a push of the button, it pops out into your hand. You reach down to cut the snag loose, and manage to lose your regulator in the attempt. So startled are you by this suddend loss of air while you were inhaling that you lose your grip on your knife. Because you did not tether it, you last sight is your knife spiraling it's way into the depths as you vision fades to black.....

Ok, it's a bit dramatic, but I think you get the point.

Seabear70:
With a push of the button, it pops out into your hand.

Many of these "push & pop" marvels do so because the handle is too small to get a good grip on while the knife blade is fully sheathed.

agreed, but personally, I tether just about everything. It was the way I was trained.

Seabear70:
Imagine if you will...

comming up to a 30' deco stop, you find yourself snared in a gill net. You reach for your trusty knife, With a push of the button, it pops out into your hand. You reach down to cut the snag loose, and manage to lose your regulator in the attempt. So startled are you by this suddend loss of air while you were inhaling that you lose your grip on your knife. Because you did not tether it, you last sight is your knife spiraling it's way into the depths as you vision fades to black.....

Ok, it's a bit dramatic, but I think you get the point.

And where in this scenario is your buddy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom