Cheap Chinese canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering to buy a canister light
Only canister, given I already have a flashlight that would become a become in case I purchase a canister light
What would you suggest? My idea would be to buy a cheap one from China, use a good backup, and keep my fingers crossed after the purchase. As far as I saw, it's better, also expensive branded lights can have problems and they cost like double

What’s your price range? Recreational or technical diving?

Budget around 100 or 150 USD
recreational but I am thinking of technical diving
Anyway when and if I will upgrade to tech I will buy tech stuff... right now I consider myself a recreational diver. If there is a flashlight good for both that would be nice obviously

I bought a cheap canister light from a large internet scuba store. On the very first dive the “Aircraft Grade Aluminum” can started to dissolve in the sea water. One dive and almost all of the paint was gone and the metal looked like it was pitted with acid.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Budget around 100 or 150 USD
recreational but I am thinking of technical diving
Anyway when and if I will upgrade to tech I will buy tech stuff... right now I consider myself a recreational diver. If there is a flashlight good for both that would be nice obviously

cheap stuff and technical diving are not good friends

I bought a cheap canister light from a large internet scuba store. On the very first dive the “Aircraft Grade Aluminum” can started to dissolve in the sea water. One dive and almost all of the paint was gone and the metal looked like it was pitted with acid.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I paid $450 a few years ago for this one. Luckily I got my money back and soon afterwards they were pulled from their web site.

Just curious....why do you think you need/want a canister light?

-Z

I got a "normal" flashlight Archon D34
I am planning to get a canister light because soon I will use a DIR style backplate BCD together with the drysuit. Good flashlights have heavy batteries and they can be bulky, difficult to clip and to use on that sort of BCD. So a canister light would solve this issue. In case I get a canister light I would keep the Archon as a secondary flashlight

I got a "normal" flashlight Archon D34
I am planning to get a canister light because soon I will use a DIR style backplate BCD together with the drysuit. Good flashlights have heavy batteries and they can be bulky, difficult to clip and to use on that sort of BCD. So a canister light would solve this issue. In case I get a canister light I would keep the Archon as a secondary flashlight

This one does not have a canister, it's relatively cheap, it has a goodman hold, it satisfies all the "DIR" standards. Although it is heavier than the average canister light - it isn't bulky and it's as easy to clip. Besides, it's relatively cheap.

3500-Lumen Narrow-Beam Tech LightSKU: TL3500P | Bigblue Dive Lights

FYI, you can even use it for intro to cave dives and technical dives (but, to be honest, in the blue I prefer canister lights - if you let it drop by mistake, you will not lose it)

That said, if you really want to go for a canister light, just go for it :)

EDIT: I have just seen that your budget is 100/150, so this light is out; well, for such a "low" budget, I definitely suggest you to avoid a canister light...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom