cheap chinese video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for reference if you buy this video light, don't buy with batteries as they are usually not good.

I ordered batteries separately (Liitokala), but they are still in transport. To test I had to use batteries I got with my bike light, but had to dismantle the battery pack. Light (QH27) works perfectly, doesn't leak in the bathtub and is capable of 7000 lm.

After a light test I tested the batteries in my charger and they had 400-600mAh. New batteries should have more than 3000mAh so at least 5 times longer burning time.

_20210105_171559.JPG _20210105_171624.JPG

Just for reference if you buy this video light, don't buy with batteries as they are usually not good
If there is a major takeaway from this thread, it is that bundled batteries for chinese lights are almost always total crap. Same applies for Tovatec and other chinese brands that are sold in US stores. Just spend the 2.50/battery (lita kola / Panasonic) when getting new lights, it'll be worth it (and you'll likely be saving a bunch anyways if you're buying chinese).

Using an unprotected cell in a small one cell light is probably OK, but I don't think it's worth the risk sticking 2 or 4 of them together in a light, especially a sketchy cheap Chinese light. ....

The protection circuit also guards against damage caused by cheap Chinese chargers with poorly designed voltage regulators.

depends on the cell type to an extent also. for LCO/IMR you want protected cells, but unprotected NMC/INR work fine if they aren't pushed to the extremes.

Now it's possible to buy this light in different colors (black, red and blue) and also there is light with an integrated battery. If they would update the light with a magnetic switch I would consider replacing my 'old' pair.
L2000xjpg.jpg
L2000i.jpg

an integrated battery
:eek: eww, I'd prefer something field replaceable and with a track record of quality (as opposed to the mystery batteries they'll provide).
But yeah, totally with you on the magnetic switches. The cheap mechanical switches seem to be the weakest point of failure for these lights.

But yeah, totally with you on the magnetic switches. The cheap mechanical switches seem to be the weakest point of failure for these lights.

They definitely are. The funny thing is that they put 2/3 o-rings in the main body, but then they put a single O-ring on the switch. The cir-clip holding the switch shaft in place, almost always ends up rusty from even the slightest water ingress. The switches then start sticking.

I have found two "reasonably priced" video lights from China that look like they are solidly built. The manufacturer is Prozhaozhu. I believe both lights have an integrated battery back (3*18650).

First one is DL-V04 6000 lm white light + red + blue light. Declared depth is 200m/600ft and beam angle 120 degrees and it has magnetic switch. Price N/A

DL-V04c.jpg DL-V04b.jpg DL-V04.jpg

Second is DL-V05 5000 lm white light. Declared depth is 200m/600ft and beam angle 115 degrees and it has magnetic switch. Price $150 + $50 shipping.
DL-V05.jpg

They are 3-4 times the price of the models we were talking about and are out of my budget to test out at this time.

They definitely are. The funny thing is that they put 2/3 o-rings in the main body, but then they put a single O-ring on the switch. The cir-clip holding the switch shaft in place, almost always ends up rusty from even the slightest water ingress. The switches then start sticking.
I've been trying on and off to find an alternative to those switches so I can 'upgrade' these lights using resin or something. Some days I wish radioshack was still around. If anyone new a compatible switch that would fit these (or heck, even a replacement part that would swap out every 6 months), that'd rock.

I've been trying on and off to find an alternative to those switches so I can 'upgrade' these lights using resin or something. Some days I wish radioshack was still around. If anyone new a compatible switch that would fit these (or heck, even a replacement part that would swap out every 6 months), that'd rock.

I did manage to get some spare switches by complaining on ebay. They sent me a couple after I requested a refund for the lights. I have never found them for sale separately unfortunately.

One option to prolong the life is too remove the red/blue LED switch (because who uses those anyways??) and keep it as a spare. Of course the hole would need to be plugged with some epoxy/resin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom