Cheap Eats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to see what everyone's favorite cheap eats are. I'll be staying in an Airbnb near Aldora/Tres Pelicanos, but I'll have a bike and don't mind riding a ways to find some good eating.

For great value, try any of the loncherias, only open for lunch, with a fixed price meal, the comida del dia, that typically includes chips and salsa, soup, an entree with rice and beans, and a cold drink, agua fresca (often Jamaica, pronounced huh-MI-cuh, not like the island, a sweetened tea made from red hibiscus flowers). This used to be all for about 75-80 pesos, plus tip. Prices might have gone up, but still less than $5.00 US. A few I can think of off the top of my head are La Candela, Loncheria Dona Chary, Loncheria Dona Mary, Los Chilangos Cocina Economica (not to be confused with Los Chilangos), and Las Palmas (though I vaguely recall hearing that Las Palmas closed). For great seafood for lunch, I HIGHLY recommend Pescaderia San Carlos. Prices will be a bit higher, but portions are huge, and two can easily share some entrees, like the fish filet in garlic sauce (a favorite of mine). It closes around 4:00 or 4:30, not open for dinner. There are also several more tourist driven restaurants, like La Choza and Casa Cuzamil, that also serve a comida del dia - it might not be on the menu, you’ll have to ask about it. For cheap eats dinners, it’s hard to go wrong with any of several taquerias, like El Pique, or Los Seras, or Otates, or fill up on a huge burrito from Burrito Gordita or King Burrito. And for not much more (as long as you aren’t drinking too much!), have a sit down dinner at El Moro. A huge menu, all of it good, and a very friendly owner.

For some other hidden gems on Cozumel, check out the Youtube channel of Justin Springs, he has posted several videos of little locally-owned restaurants on Cozumel.

During the day be sure to ask "Comida Corida. IF the waiter acts dumb (like he did not understand your Spanish) just say daily special. That even works at a high end (but truly great? La Choza.

As I recall (maybe long time ago) that ends up costing about US $-4-5 for a great meal.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Marios (Taqueria El Amigo Mario) on calle 5 and up near Ave 35. They have really good Cochinita. Bulk, tacos and tortas their Cochinita is great. A lot of folks make Cochinita but with Mario's it's all they do and they do it well. They open around 7 AM and close around 12-1 PM, when they run out of Cochinita. I like getting a torta in the morning for $30 MXN for a good pre dive breakfast.
upload_2018-5-2_18-47-24.png

Los Sera’s on 30 AVE (Av. Lic. Pedro Joaquin Caldwell) and Calle Jose Maria Morelos (1 block south of 3rd). Great Taqueria with very good Al Pastor. Very favored by the local folks and a lot of ex-pats, opens after 6PM (no alcohol license but if you carry in a few beers or a ‘to go’ drink, no problem) . They take up three store fronts and the northern portion has a pizzeria. Not bad pizza for 60-100 MXN good while hot but do not great re-heated for left overs. Stays open late.

upload_2018-5-2_19-21-9.png

Benito’s Italian restaurant at the end of Av Xel-Ha (Calle 15, the street between Chadraui and the police station) and Av 50. Easy walking distance from downtown or a cheap taxi ride. Good Italian food and pizza. Relaxed atmosphere with mostly local middle class families.

upload_2018-5-2_19-34-20.png

Any place that has a minimum of 10 scooters parked in front and a cerveza sign !!

Marios (Taqueria El Amigo Mario) on calle 5 and up near Ave 35. They have really good Cochinita. Bulk, tacos and tortas their Cochinita is great. A lot of folks make Cochinita but with Mario's it's all they do and they do it well. They open around 7 AM and close around 12-1 PM, when they run out of Cochinita. I like getting a torta in the morning for $30 MXN for a good pre dive breakfast.
View attachment 457926

I thought that was a picture of 3P's dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom