Cheapest telephone service Belize to USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have just ensured that Witopia will be blocked by BTL. How do you think they find out what ruses people are using to get around their (illegal) blocks? They read all these websites - in fact, they employ people to do just that.

There are means that work, but I'm sure as hell not going to post them here. Not will I give details to anyone else unless I'm convinced the info won't go straight to BTL.

I live on an island here in southern Belize and we use Skype over our satellite internet. You can use local phone cards to call as well and there are ways to call a 10-10 number that will reduce the cost of your calls. I despise the local phone company, however, and the less money they get, the happier I am.

How well does VoIP work over satellite? Supposedly the very high latency creates havoc with voice traffic.

VOIP is fine for hearing somebody talk to you since their voice gets transmitted through fiberoptic (most likely) to the Hughes or Starband center and then beamed up at fast sppeds to their satellite and then beamed quickly down to you. The problem is with your voice which gets transmitted up to the satellite with your rinky-dink little dish. That is why you need to talk slowly and have lots of patience.

Back
Top Bottom