Cheater hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flymolo

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a cheater hose (like a 3" hose) for coupling a qc6 male connector on a bailout tank to an LP inflator hose fitted with a female qc6 connector? One use cause would be for connecting bailout deco gas directly to suit inflation in the event of an inflation regulator failure or something similar.

Probably not helpful, but I got a few from Under the Jungle in Mexico. Natalie has some really short 3inch inflator hoses made since she's smaller and regular length hoses don't work for her. I'm sure you can find someplace to have them made.

Thanks. Yeah, I had first seen them down in Mx. May just pick up a few next time I'm down there- although who knows when that'll be at this point!

Good catch. I looked at pirahna in the past and missed that hose. Just an fyi you can also get the qc6 directly from swagelok. They have local distributor offices all over the place. I order directly from them in the past and it was cheaper and quick. Golem gear is located an hour from my house and god only knows when I'll get anything I order from him. Some days it's 2 days sometimes it's 2 months.

I just leave a BC whip on my BOs

There's one on my deep gas for wreck dives, also one on my 50%, also one on my right SM bottle on my sidewinder

What are the situations where a BC connection delivers inadequate flow for RB diving? (Question from a just-about-to-get-started JJ diver).

What are the situations where a BC connection delivers inadequate flow for RB diving? (Question from a just-about-to-get-started JJ diver).

BOV is the main one. For cave diving we also teach something called open loop breathing where you are breathing from either the dil MAV or the ADV. It is the stepping stone to teaching SCR mode on a CCR.
If you are deep enough, the bc inflators won't flow enough gas to allow you to breathe comfortably.

Some people also like to have different connections for the dil and O2 side. I use BC inflators for my O2 plugins and QC6's for dil. Having that differentiation will prevent any accidental crossing of the gases which would be really bad for O2 to be plugged into dil. Having the cheater allows me to plug dil gases that have a QC6 connector into the BC inflator if I needed to. BC inflator in this case being a combo of the O2mav, wing, and drysuit.
I keep QC6 to CEJN, CEJN to QC6, and QC6 to BC in my wetnotes though they're all straight adapters with no hoses. I have QC6 and BC on mine, but it does allow me to share bottles with a buddy if necessary or vice versa. Shouldn't ever happen, and if I was in OW I wouldn't bother.
I do believe that you should always have some way to plug in a BC hose to your rebreather though, ideally only through the O2 MAV so you have to think about it every time you touch it.

They are really only 'required' for OC diving

BC whips are helpful (even cave diving etc) when your normal wing inflate side has failed, having one on the other SM bottle is helpful. Source of suit gas, although if its helium have something to flush it out with before you completely freeze is imperative. In my case I have a BC whip on my 50% bottle that is either on me, or I dropped back in the cave - but at least its there for deco in an emergency. And of course BC whips are often used to shoot SMBs. A squirt from a BC whip is plenty for just a normal dil injection btw.

In a lot of ways having a BC whip on BOs and SM bottles is a lot like leaving a BC whip on the left post of doubles. It doesn't really get in the way tucked behind the wing or stuffed in the SM bottle elastic but is immediately useful in many situations. Of course its an extra hose, but disconnecting a high flow QC6 means you are removing either your ADV or your BOV input (or both) to attach a low flow cheater connector. With frozen hands and dry gloves that can end up being a lot of faffing around and buoyancy bobbling - I would prefer not to disable the high flow QC6 connection at all and just pull out a BC whip ready to go for the need. Plus there's no need to switch back and forth again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom